Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

2005 Buick rendezvous: Shifter..indicator..automatic transmission

2005 Buick Rendevous. Shifter is stuck in drive will not shift at all, and of course will not start while in gear. Shifter will go up and down, but won't change gears per indicator/ automatic transmission.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like the shift cable is broken or the shifter itself is broken, this needs to be physically inspected to be sure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I inspect it to see if the cable is broken? Is this an expensive thing to replace?
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
You need to look at the connection at the transmission to see if it is broken there if it is not you need to access the shifter cable on the inside of the vehicle and see if it is broken there. It is not really expensive it may run in the 150.00 range but I do not have pricing available so that is a educated guess on the cost.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You mean access the shifter cable at the steering column?
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I fix it, can one do it themselves?
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
It can be pretty difficult to fix this if you have not done this kind of work. There really is not a lot to doing the install other than unhooking it and fishing it through the dash area and out to the trans but you are talking about a very tight working area and some things may need to be removed so that the cable can be run.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So the dealer? Or can a regular garage mechanic do the job?
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Any good mechanic can do it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks I appreciate your help. Next thing I'll do is accept answer so you can get paid
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer