Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. certified
20625509

2004 Buick Rendezvous: slight..brakes..I need a front end alignment

Customer Question

The front end on my 2004 Buick Rendezvous has a slight shimmy when I put on my brakes. Does this mean that I need a front end alignment?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

No. Most likely the wheel bearing or wheel bearings are loose or worn. Is this a 2wd, 4wd or awd?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the SUV is an awd
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

Ok, you may want to check the front wheel bearings. They are though integral to the hub assembly and are not adjustable. If the bearings are found to be defective, the hub assembly must be replaced.

graphic

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=1&year=2004&ar tnbr=MB06-016&artsfx=NULL&supplgroup=NULL&catcode=45B&modelcode=B&makecode=B&modelseries=BA&uid=1&modelid=1147577396&capuid=1&majorgroup=06&grouptype=B

part # XXXXX

To check jack up each front wheel and grab the tire at 2 and 8 o'clock and wiggle the tire in and out. There should not be too much movement. If more than 3/16" the hub and bearing should be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you give me an estimate cost for this?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.

First make sure nothing obvious is loose such as the brake caliper. For instructions on replacing the wheel bearing hub assembly, click here. When done, an alignment may be needed since parts are being replaced.

Depending on the RPO codes, the front wheel bearing hubs do have different part numbers.

For RPO code JL9, FRONT AND REAR DISC,ANTILOCK the part number is XXXXX

For RPO code J65, FRONT AND REAR DISC 4-WHL DISC BRK the part number is XXXXX

The RPO codes can usually be found in the glovebox on a sticker.

The 89047684, I found here http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-hub-89047684.html for $140.79

The 89047803, let me know if it's this one, it;s being difficult to find.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you know the cost if I have it repaired by a mechanic? Do you think I should have the alignment done first?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.
I would imagine that 0.8 hours a side would just about do it, so at an average of $75 an hour depending on if one or both are needed it would be about $60 labor for one and $120 for 2, plus an alignment which may or may not be needed so at least an alignment check and that may cost $30 for a check and $60 if needing aligned. Parts would be about $140 for one or $280 for both, so altogether it should cost between $200 for one and $400 for both plus the alignment or check.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 years ago.
No, no alignment first. An alignment is only angles, not something loose or worn. The only reason for doing the alignment maybe afterwards is if changing parts throws off the angles of camber,caster or toe. Most likely it will just need the toe set.