Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

How to reset the electronic computer module

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Buick
5/4/2011
Buick Mechanic: Amedee, Buick Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Buick Mechanic
Hello!

I would check the fuel pressure regulator. It is located on the fuel rail. It is round, about a quarter size and has a vacuum line going to it. If the regulator is leaking gas than it can cause this problem. Pull off the vacuum line that goes to the regulator. Be absolutely sure there is no gas in the vacuum line. If there is, the diaphram has ruptured and there is gas entering the engine that is not accounted for and the regulator will need to be replaced!

Having trouble finding the regulator. What are some landmarks for this regulator. Is there only one regulator, or 6?

There is only one fuel pressure regulator located on the fuel rail. It will have a vacuum lne going to it.
Where is the fuel rail. Can you see it from the top of the engine?
What size engine do you have?
3.8 liter
YES.. this fuel rail should be easy to spot. You might have to remove a plastic cover over the motor... or maybe not... it should be right on the intake.

Removed the air cleaner and found the regulator. No gas leakage. Can not seem to be able to remove the vacuum line. Should we force it?

IF you use a pliers or a needle nose, you can walk it back and forth gently without damaging the hose.
I am told that there is not enough room to use the needle nose pliers on the hose. Any other thoughts?
YES!

You could have a bad crankshaft position sensor, bad mass air flow sensor/map sensor or even a air or a vacuum leak.
The car works great almost all the time. Then it cuts out for a while. Would any of these things work fine for a long time then quit for a while, then come back again?
You bet they would!

That is what sensors do when they start to go bad!
We got the vac line off the fuel pressure regulator and it has no gas in it. The Vac hose was not tightly attached to the fuel pressure regulator. Could a loose vac line give these symptoms?
If it is leaking vacuum.. yes... but it not.. no
The rubber hose was pressed up against the ridge in the hose coupling, but the hose was not covering the ridge. We put the hose back on, and will try driving some more to see what happens. Is there a way to figure out which sensor might be causing a problem in case pushing the vac hose on does not work?
YES! but this would require some expensive diagnostic equipment.

You could also check for codes int he computer. THat might help. You would have to jumper terminal A and B on the diagnostic connector and turn the key on and count the number of times the check engine light flashes.
I have a laptop version of a standard diagnostic tool that plugs into standard data port. Does this car have a port that I can jack into to see the codes, or is it too old?
YES.. you can jumper these terminals on this connector. It is terminals A and B.

THis connector will be located under the dash in the center or on the drivers side.

Here is a pic
My son is about 4 hours away driving home from College. I hope to be able to get some codes off the car at this time. Can this sesson stay open if I turn off my computer and take it home?
Well the car died again. I asked him to verify all the electrical connectons to the sensors. If he disconnects the battery for 5 minutes, will this reset the computer module? If he disconnects the battery for 5 minutes, will anything need to be reset in order to use the car?
Sorry for the delay!

YES! If you disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes, this will reset the computer.

NO.. nothing else will need to be done. Just write down the radio presets.
My son got the car started again, and took it to PepBoys. They put a computer on it and said there was a bad ignition module and 3 coils. I did not get the exact name of the part. They say they will have it fixed in a few hours. What are your thoughts?
I think they are on the right track to be honest with you...
Amedee
Amedee, Buick Mechanic
Changing these parts seemed to fix the problem. They said that when the module heated up it had a loose connection. Thanks for your help.
YUP!

THat will do it!

Glad to hear it is all fixed!
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Buick Mechanic