Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

2006 Rendezvous: The AWD disable light..disconnected..wheel drive

Customer Question
The AWD disable light has...
The AWD disable light has been on for 6 months now on my 2006 Rendezvous..can't I have the AWD permanetely disconnected and have the car just beXXXXX This is getting rediculas.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Buick
3/29/2011
Buick Mechanic: Pete, Buick Technician replied 6 years ago
Pete, Buick Technician
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

Your vehicle is designed for all wheel drive and cannot be bypassed.When you receive this message this does indicate what it says that the all wheel drive is disabled.

Some common issues are the solenoid in the rear differential,wheel speed sensor failures,wiring connection issues under the vehicle that can become corroded and fluid in the rear differential can cause internal issues.

These is a complicated system on this vehicle and is best diagnosed by a Buick or GM dealer as they have the right tools and knowledge for the diagnosis and repair on these as it sounds like the two mechanics being used now are unsure of their diagnosis.

I have also had to replace entire rear differentials before to correct this type of concern as well.It needs diagnosed properly to find the source of the failure and then repaired to turn this message off here.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!

the two mechanics were GM tech's. What happens if I do nothing since it has been this way for 15,000 miles. Couldn't it be just a bad sensor and spending $1000.00 to look for all those possibilities is really over-kill. the car has 101,000 already.

You can continue to drive the vehicle this way if you want but you wont have all wheel drive and this can also disable your anti lock braking system as well.You would still have normal power braking but may not have abs brakes.

It could be just a faulty sensor or a wiring fault but this would have to be checked into/tested to see what component is failing and what needs done to correct this problem.

one final question ...although I will not have awd and it may disable my anti-lock brakes the vehicel won't lock up while I am driving it right?
As long as the fluids are full in the transfer case,transmission and rear axle then you should be o.k. and it wont lock up on you.

I do recommend getting this diagnosed properly and repaired in the future though.

Thanks Pete!
Pete, Buick Technician
Pete, Buick Technician