Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2004 Buick Rendezvous: gas pedal..engine revs to 2500-3000 rpm

Have a 2004 Buick Rendezvous. At times, when the vehicle comes to a stop, pressing the gas pedal has no affect. The engine revs to 2500-3000 rpm before the vehicle starts inching forward. Happens intermittently, but can be scary at intersections or around train tracks.

Have had the tranny fluid changed in the system. Used a process where they connected the line to the coolant line and pumped new fluid in until the new fluid came out the other line. They did not change the filter.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Buick problem.

Since you had the fluid flushed, the fluid level should be okay. The problem you are experiencing is due to a failing forward sprag clutch. This clutch is purely mechanical and is supposed to lock up when accelerating and unlock when coasting. The problem is that the dlutch is not relocking when accelerating after stopping or slowing down.

The fix for this is to replace this clutch. The transmission does need to be disassembled to replace this clutch.