Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

Buick LeSabre Custom 2001 Buick LeSabre ABS light came on,

Customer Question
2001 Buick LeSabre ABS light came...
2001 Buick LeSabre
ABS light came on, also "traction control off" light is on.
It doesn't seem to be a problem with the push button on the gear control stick.
Plenty of brake fluid.
Possibly related to a light ticking noise near the driver door which happens on startup and goes away after warmup. It's very cold outside so this one could be weather-related only.
What should I have checked?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Buick
2/22/2011
Buick Mechanic: Pete, Buick Technician replied 6 years ago
Pete, Buick Technician
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

These lights/messages coming on are an indication that the ABS computer has detected a failure in the ABS system.

This could be a number of different problems from failing wheel speed sensors,wiring issues or other sensors or switches at fault including the hydraulic or electronic control unit being faulty.

What has to be done from here is the fault codes need checked using a scan tool or code reader that can communicate with the ABS computer on this vehicle.This will aid and in some cases can pinpoint the failure.This will let you know why these lights/messages have come on and then it can be diagnosed and repaired.

This can be done by just about any shop or GM dealer and I have also heard of parts stores in most areas checking codes free of charge.

Keep in mind while these messages are on ABS braking is disabled,you will still have normal power brakes but you wont have ABS braking or traction control.

This is the first step to find out what is wrong here and what needs done to correct it.
Most commonly one of the wheel speed sensors can fail and cause this and may need replaced.It may be related to the colder weather and the code may just need to be cleared using a scan tool or code reader as it may have just been a one time failure/fluke.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
This told me nothing more than a general online search already had, and I am not knowledgeable in car repair. This answer is not worth the money involved.
Since you already know this then I recommend getting the fault codes read out.Once you have this done come back here and let me know what the code(s) are and I can try and assist better with this.

You did ask what should be checked so I replied with what needs done,I didn't know that you already knew this info and cannot assist further until I know the code(s) that are set.

Thanks Pete!

Edited by Pete on 2/22/2011 at 8:02 PM EST
Pete, Buick Technician