Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

2005 Buick Rainier: V8 5.3 liter, AWD, The speedometer..flutter

I have a 2005 Buick Rainier, V8 5.3 liter, AWD, The speedometer has begun to flutter back and forth from 0 to 100. Now it starts at 60 and goes to 100. The odometer is working satisfactorly. I live in Cheyenne, Wy
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Does the engine and transmission run and shift normal with this issue here?

Is the check engine light on as well?

Have you had the cluster replaced to try and fix this problem?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Engine and transmission shift normal. No engine light. No prior consultation. Wanting to know what may be wrong.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
O.k.

With the engine and transmission running and shifting correctly and no check engine light we can assume the vehicle speed sensor input is o.k.

The most common failure for this concern here on your vehicle is an internal electrical failure in the instrument cluster itself.The little stepper motors inside the cluster mainly the speedometer motor can stick and fail causing this incorrectly to read like this or cause the speedometer to stick or start out at a different speed.

To have this corrected either your instrument cluster has to be removed and sent in for repair by a GM dealer to their authorized repair center or the cluster has to be replaced.

Charges for this vary by your location,usually where I am at this can be anywhere from $350 to $450 for the repair or the replacement as it usually costs the same to have it repaired or replaced.

This can be common to fail like this as I have had to replace quite a few clusters in the newer GM models.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The car has 52,000 + miles. May 2008, the transmission pump was leaking and had it replaced under warranty.

This is what the work order says: Transmission front pump seal is leaking. Need to R&R the trans and reseal the pump. R&Red transmission. Removed pum and resealed it. Reinstalled. Would this have any connection to the current situation.

Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
If this were transmission related that has caused this then there would be shifting concerns involved with the speedometer failure and the check engine light would be on to let you know there is a fault in the vehicle speed sensor system on the transmission.

Since it shifts fine and no check engine light it does sound like an internal fault in the instrument cluster that needs repaired or replaced to fix this problem.

To be safe you could always have the fault codes checked to see if any are set and then have someone with a scan tool drive the vehicle while monitoring the vehicle speed signal on the scan tool,when the cluster acts up then read the scan tool and if it shows the speed is right on where it should be then you know that most likely this is an internal failure in the cluster.