Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

2004 Buick LeSabre: water pump and the thermostat..now my temp guage

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Buick...
I have a 2004 Buick LeSabre. This past weekend I replaced the water pump and the thermostat. It was all working just fine over the weekend, but now my temp guage is running on the cold side and I don't have heat in the car. What have I done wrong?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Buick
1/4/2011
Buick Mechanic: Pete, Buick Technician replied 7 years ago
Pete, Buick Technician
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I would check to make sure you still have coolant in the cooling system and if you do not then I would re check for any coolant leaks and repair any that are found then refill the coolant level.

The water pump gasket could be leaking if it was over tightened or if there was still a sliver of the old gasket on the engine when the new water pump and gasket was installed.

If you have no leaks then you may have had air trapped in the coolant system,check the level and if low top it off,then run the engine with the radiator cap off at idle and fill the radiator as needed.Make sure your coolant reservoir has coolant in it as well.

If you put the thermostat in backwards then it may cause this as well.

If it is extremely cold or at freezing/below freezing temperatures in your area then you may not have got the coolant/water mixture right when you put it in the radiator and the coolant could be frozen in the radiator or engine block.Check for ice or a frozen radiator,if this is the case then the vehicle should not be driven and the car slowly thawed out in a heated garage if possible.

These are all components or issues that can cause this problem here.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Pete, Buick Technician
Pete, Buick Technician