Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

I need to replace the thermostat on my 1995 Buick Century wagon

Customer Question
3.1L V6. It looks like...
I need to replace the thermostat on my 1995 Buick Century wagon 3.1L V6. It looks like I'll have to remove the throttle body to do so. Is there a way to avoid this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Buick
10/16/2010
Buick Mechanic: John, Buick Master Technician replied 7 years ago
John, Buick Master Technician

Hello & Welcome to JA,

here is information to help you.

Thermostat

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the cooling system.

CAUTION When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.

1. Some models require you to remove the air cleaner assembly from the throttle body.
  2. Some models with cruise control have a vacuum modulator attached to the thermostat housing with a bracket. It your vehicle is equipped as such, remove the bracket from the housing.
  3. On the 4-cylinder engines, unbolt the water outlet from the thermostat housing, remove the outlet from the housing and lift the thermostat out of the housing. On all other models, unbolt the water outlet from the intake manifold, remove the outlet and lift the thermostat out of the manifold.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Fig. Fig. 1: Loosen the clamp securing the hose to the thermostat housing

Register Here

Register Here

Fig. Fig. 2: Remove the bolts securing the housing, then pull it away

Register Here

Register Here

Fig. Fig. 3: Make a note as to which end of the thermostat fits in the housing

To install:

1. Clean both of the mating surfaces and run a 1 / 8 in. (3mm) bead of R.T.V. (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) sealer in the groove of the water outlet.

Register Here

Register Here

Fig. Fig. 4: Make sure both of the mating surfaces are free of any old gasket material

1. Install the thermostat (spring towards engine) and bolt the water outlet into place while the R.T.V. sealer is still wet. Tighten the bolts 17-21 ft. lbs. (23-28 Nm) on all but the 2.2L engine. Other engines tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  2. The remainder of the installation is the reverse of removal. Fill the cooling system, start the engine and top off. Check for leaks after the car is started and correct as required.

This is the exact information that I found free of charge on Autozone.com before I contacted JA. Clearly the thermostat is obscured by the throttle body, yet I have not been able to find instructions regarding thermostat replacement for this specific instance. I'm willing to pay the $23 for information that I can't find on my own that answers my question adequatly.

Engine Coolant Thermostat Replacement (3100 Engine)

The throttle body can be worked around ,but if it is in your wat remove it.

Tools Required

Hose Clamp Pliers

1. Partially drain the cooling system. Carefully remove the throttle body air inlet duct.

Register Here

reposition the hose clamp at the thermostat housing.
  2. Disconnect the radiator hose from the thermostat housing.

Register Here

3. Remove the thermostat housing bolts.
  4. Remove the thermostat housing and gasket.

Register Here

5. Remove the thermostat.
  6. Clean the mating surfaces.

Register Here

1. Install the thermostat.

Register Here

2. Install the thermostat housing and the gasket to the intake manifold.

Register Here

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the thermostat housing bolts with RTV sealer GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNor the equivalent.

Tighten
    Tighten the thermostat housing bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

4. Connect the radiator hose to the thermostat housing.
  5. reposition and install the hose clamp at the thermostat housing.
  6. Carefully install the throttle body air inlet duct.
  7. Fill the cooling system. Inspect the system for leaks.
Are you able to point me to instructions for removing the throttle body?

Sure ,

Throttle Body Assembly Replacement

Register Here

1. Drain coolant. Remove the air intake tube.

Register Here

2. Disconnect the IAC valve electrical connector.

Register Here

3. Disconnect the TP sensor electrical connector.

4. Disconnect the accelerator controls cable.

Register Here

5. Remove the accelerator control cable bracket.

Register Here

6. Disconnect the throttle body coolant bypass hoses.
  7. Disconnect the heater pipe nut at the throttle body.
  8. Remove the nuts and bolts holding the throttle body to the intake manifold.
  9. Remove the throttle body assembly.

Notice: Do not use solvent of any type when cleaning the gasket surfaces on the intake manifold and the throttle body assembly, as damage to the gasket surfaces and throttle body assembly may result.

Use care in cleaning the gasket surfaces on the intake manifold and the throttle body assembly, as sharp tools may damage the gasket surfaces.

Register Here

1. Clean the gasket surface on the intake manifold and the throttle body assembly.
  2. Reinstall a new gasket, if necessary.
  3. Reinstall the throttle body assembly.

4. Reinstall the throttle body retaining nuts and bolts (3).

Tighten
    Tighten the throttle body retaining nuts and bolts to 28 N·m (21 lb ft).

5. Connect the throttle body coolant bypass hoses.
  6. Connect the heater pipe nut at the throttle body.

Register Here

7. Connect the IAC valve electrical connector.

Register Here

8. Connect the TP sensor electrical connector.

Register Here

9. Reinstall the accelerator controls cable bracket.

10. Connect the accelerator controls cable.

Register Here

11. Reinstall the air intake tube.
  12. Refill the coolant.

Important: The throttle should operate freely without binding between full closed and wide open throttle.

13. Inspect and check for complete throttle opening and closing positions by operating the accelerator pedal. Also check for poor carpet fit under the accelerator pedal.
John, Buick Master Technician
John, Buick Master Technician