Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

how do i change the heater core on a 2001 grandam pontiac 2.

Customer Question
4 liter. took out the...
how do i change the heater core on a 2001 grandam pontiac 2. 4 liter. took out the glove compartment.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Buick
9/18/2010
Buick Mechanic: Bill, Buick Technician replied 7 years ago
Bill
Bill, Buick Technician

Welcome to Just Answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please Accept if you are satisfied.

I have to advise right out of the gate that this is a MUCH more involved job than glove box removal. After raising the vehicle and removing the heater and a/c lines (as well as recovering a/c refrigerant) the entire dash must be removed from the vehicle. After dash removal the hvac case must be removed and disassembled. Basically you would need to disassemble the dash down to the firewall. It is quite an involved job and takes many hours to complete.

i was wondering why do i need to raise the vehicle, in order to take out the heater core. another thing why do i have to get refigerent the heater core isnt connected to the ac unit. this is how i disconnected the heater core. i took out the inlet and outlet hoses at the engine side. then took out center console took out airdisplacement parts . lastley heatercore housing there is about 8 screws.

If you found a shortcut that is great, I can tell you however that GM service information clearly states to remove the entire hvac case.

Heater Core Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the HVAC module assembly. Refer to HVAC Module Assembly Replacement .
2001 Pontiac Grand Am | Grand Am, Alero VIN N Service Manual | Document ID: 646007

Air Conditioning and Heater Module Assembly Removal and Installation

Tools Required

J 39400-A Halogen Leak Detector

Removal Procedure

1. Recover the A/C system. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging .
  2. Drain the engine coolant. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling in Engine Cooling.
  3. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  4. Remove the evaporator hose assembly from the evaporator. Refer to Air Conditioning Evaporator Hose Assembly Replacement .
  5. Remove the heater hoses from the heater core. Refer to Heater Hoses Replacement .
  6. Remove the drain tube elbow from the evaporator block heater case plate.

7. Remove the nuts holding the heater case plate for the heater pipes.
  8. Remove the heater case plate and the seals for the heater pipes.
  9. Remove the nuts holding the heater case plate for the evaporator block.
  10. Remove the heater case plate and seal for the evaporator block.
  11. Remove the nut for the HVAC module assembly bracket.
  12. Lower the vehicle.
  13. Remove the instrument panel (IP) carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel Trim Pad Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges, and Console.
  14. Remove the air distribution duct. Refer to Air Distributor Duct Replacement .
  15. Remove the floor air duct from the HVAC module assembly. Refer to Floor Air Outlet Replacement .
  16. Remove the cross vehicle beam (tie bar). Refer to Instrument Panel Tie Bar Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges, and Console.

17. Remove the daytime running lights (DRL) sensor wiring harness clip (1) from the HVAC module assembly.
  18. Disconnect the IP lamp dimmer switch electrical connector (2).
  19. Remove the wiring harness clips (3) from the HVAC module assembly bracket.
  20. Disconnect the vacuum hose (4) from the vacuum tank.

21. Disconnect the blower motor resistor electrical connector.
  22. Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector.

23. Disconnect the temperature actuator electrical connector.

24. Remove the HVAC module assembly.

Installation Procedure

1. Position the HVAC module assembly to the vehicle.

2. Connect the temperature actuator electrical connector.

3. Connect the blower motor resistor electrical connector.
  4. Connect the blower motor electrical connector.

5. Install the wiring harness clips (3) to the HVAC module assembly bracket.
  6. Install the daytime running lights (DRL) sensor wiring harness clip (1) from the HVAC module assembly.
  7. Connect the IP lamp dimmer switch electrical connector (2).
  8. Install the vacuum hose (4) to the vacuum tank.

9. Install the cross vehicle beam (tie bar). Refer to Instrument Panel Tie Bar Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges, and Console.
  10. Install the floor air duct to the HVAC module assembly. Refer to Floor Air Outlet Replacement .
  11. Install the air distribution duct. Refer to Air Distributor Duct Replacement .
  12. Install the instrument panel (IP) carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel Trim Pad Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges, and Console.
  13. Raise the vehicle.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

14. Install the nut for the HVAC module assembly bracket.

Tighten
    Tighten the bracket nut to 10 N·m (88 lb in).

15. Install the heater case plate and the seals for the heater pipes.
  16. Install the nuts holding the heater case plate for the heater pipes.
  17. Install the heater case plate and seal for the evaporator block.
  18. Install the nuts holding the heater case plate for the evaporator block.

Tighten
    Tighten the heater case plates nuts to 10 N·m (88 lb in).

19. Install the drain tube elbow to the evaporator block heater case plate.
  20. Install the evaporator hose to the evaporator. Refer to Air Conditioning Evaporator Hose Assembly Replacement .
  21. Install the heater hoses to the heater core. Refer to Heater Hoses Replacement .
  22. Lower the vehicle.
  23. Fill the engine cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling in Engine Cooling.
  24. Evacuate and recharge the refrigerant system. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging .
  25. Leak test the fittings of the component using the J 39400-A .

© 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.

1. Turn the HVAC module assembly over.
  2. Remove the heater core case cover.
  3. Remove the heater core bracket and screw.
  4. Remove the heater core.

Bill
Bill
Bill, Buick Technician