Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.
10772012

1995 riviera shuts off while driving, but starts right back up.

Hello and good evening, when it starts back up will it maintain running? And does it stall under cruise or when you slow down?

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It stalls when slowing down.
When it stalls, is it like it just shuts off, or is it violent in nature?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just shuts off.
The first thing I would do, is clean your throttleplate and throttlebody. The throttleplate builds up dirt as does the surrounding housing and it chokes off the air supply needed for maintaining idle. On 3800 engines, there is a screen that blocks access to the plate, so you'll need to remove the throttlebody and clean it from the backside. It's relatively easy and straightforward to do. Remove the mass air flow sensor from the top of the throttle body and clean the element with alcohol and a q-tip. Then spray the throttle plate and housing with carb or throttlebody cleaner and scrub with a brass brush. Open the plate by hand and scrub the housing. Wipe it clean and reassemble. See if that helps and let me know either way, whether its now good, or whether it still stalls and we'll work together if need be to rectify it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That was cleaned about three months ago, when my car was idling rough.

Find out if they cleaned the Idle Air Control motor. It's possible and probable that they did not clean that component. What can happen is the IAC motor can close during cruise, and get stuck in the dirt that builds up in the housing. When you come to a stop the pintle may get stuck in the dirt, causing the stall. Then it frees up and is able to maintain idle. Since the plate was dirty enough to roughen up your idle, it's very possible that the IAC motor and housing are equally dirty, since they are related by location.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I changed the coils and the coil module and so far the car hasn't stopped running.

If the car does not stall again, the module could have been your problem. Generally the stalling due to a failed ignition module, would be followed up by a no start until the car cooled off. Another possibility is that the computer relearned it's new idle settings which can happen as well. See what happens over a period of time. If the stalling returns, let me know and we'll see if we can narrow it down. I'm here for you if you need me, so don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Ivan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I changed the coils and module after I had to get the car towed. When it stopped, I waited
about twenty minutes, and the car started, but stalled again within a block and wouldn't
start again.

I feel better about your actions then. That fits. I think you fixed it then. Dealing with it while it still won't start is the way to fix it with confidence. Don't hesitate to let me know if something crops up. I don't think it will. Those Riveras are beautiful cars, enjoy it.

Ivan