Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

LeSabre: see & feel the push/pull lever on the back

Customer Question
I'm trying to remove the...
I'm trying to remove the DIM in my LeSabre. I can see & feel the push/pull lever on the back, but I can't determine what direction to move the DIM when pushing against the lever to remove it. What am I doing wrong? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
p.s. I shouldn't try unscrewing the bracket mounting screws first - correct?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Buick
6/27/2010
Buick Mechanic: BigBob, Shop manager/technician replied 8 years ago
BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Greetings,

You release the lever and pull downward, do not remove the bracket first. I have uploaded the procedure for you here, let me know if i can help further.

Bob
Sorry about that - I hit enter too soon. I hate to admit it, but I may be over my head here. The DIM doesn't want to come out and if I understand some of the notations on the downloaded diagrams - there may be some sort of reprogramming required for at least one of the processors - i'm just your average car owner trying to save some money since I suspect most electronic/electrical problems in automobiles are difficult to identify/resolve. We're you able to read my original question from last night to John? Do you agree with his diagnosis? I.E. Possible short through the Blower Motor Control Processor. Wouldn't there be a problem with the blower motor working? - Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
The module would only have to be reprogrammed if it is replaced. I read the chat you had with John, and yes I have also seen these blower motor control processors do the same thing, but from here that would be very hard to be sure. The processor could be shorted causing the draw and still work, I have also seen that happen. I think before pulling it all apart I would pull all the fuses and find out what circuit the problem is on. On most late model cars with computers and modules, the key off drain should be less than 50 milliamps, but on some they can draw as much as 300-400milliamps for a certain time. On some Fords there is a 850 milliamp draw for up to 20 minutes. You will need to turn everything off, close all the doors and monitor it from there. If you can unplug the processor and recheck if the draw is gone that would be good also.

Bob

Thank you - Bob

I appreciate you're response/answer and will try pulling all of the fuses at one time and then reinserting them one at a time with the ammeter in place. I'll give the removal of the DIM one more try - I'm a bit uncomfortable trying to force it, because it's not coming out easily. I won't be getting around to it until tomorrow morning. It took me a long time just to get to the DIM and then a lot more trying to feel/see how the DIM could be removed, before you confirmed my suspitions about the lever.

Thanks again - Have a great evening!!

You also have a great evening!!!

Bob