Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 buick: speeds..gas pedal is sticking the engine ribbs..slow down…

Customer Question
My 2002 Buick Rndvz cx...
My 2002 Buick Rndvz cx speeds up on its own like the gas pedal is sticking the engine ribbs up and down while driving when braking it doesnt want to stop the engine does not slow down when brakes are applied it is dangerous and no one can tell me what the problem is. do you have any ideals thank you judy
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Buick
6/13/2010
Buick Mechanic: Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
It sounds like you may have a bad vacuum leak.You said it does want to stop when you apply the brakes,do you have a hard brake pedal?By hard I mean does the pedal feel like manuel brakes? If so you may have a reputured diaphram in the brake booster.Try pinching off the vacuum line to the booster and see if that corrects your problem.Please let me know what you find,Don

the brake pedal is easy to push and goes alway to floor drives ok until you try to slow down instead of slowing it speeds up even in park the rpm speeds up . when setting at a red light the rpm speeds up. its like the gas throttle is fighting the brakes. when setting still in park not touching the brake the rpm speeds up on its own. it speeds up to 4 an 5 rpms. the throttle sencer checked out ok on the code scanner . there were no bad codes. could not find a vacuum leak but i will try it. the brake pedal pushes easy. its over working the brakes instead of slowing it speeds up even while setting still. they tell me its dangerous .

OK next lets check to see if your throttle cable is binding up.Check at the throttle body and make sure that the cable moves freely and closes against the throttle stop.Please let me know what you find,Don
i called my son he informed me that it was the throttle senser and that the code scanners dont pick them up he had it fixed in no time
Glad that you found your problem,Don