kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

2001 buick regal: seat will raise and lower, but not move

2001 buick regal driver side power seat. seat will raise and lower, but not move back and forward.
Chat Conversation Started
kalamykid :

Can you hear or feel the motor under the seat come on when you try to move the seat forward or backward?

Customer: no
kalamykid :

Do you have a test light or a digital volt meter?

Customer: yes
kalamykid :

You will need to pull the seat control switch so you can check the switch for function please. I will also need to know if your switch is in the door or on the side of the seat please?

Customer: the switch is on the side of the seat
kalamykid :

Thank you. Now i can look up the diagram for the wires so you can check for voltage. Please give me just a couple of minutes to pull them up. Thank you

Customer: ok
kalamykid :

Do you have the suppercharged 3.8 or just the plain 3.8 engine?

Customer: supercharged
kalamykid :

Thank you

Customer: how do i pull the switch? does it just pop out?
kalamykid :

Do you see any screws? one on each end of the switch? If not then yes it will pop out.

Customer: no screws. o k
Customer: you have to take off the moulding around the seat. to do that i'd have to take off the back of seat lever, which doesn't want to come off. i disconnected the module under the seat. can i test the switch from there?
Customer: sort of. if i could pull that seat back lever off, but i don't want to break it.
Customer: i can get to the switch wires with a pencil tester
Customer: i can get to the switch wires with a pencil tester
Customer: i can get to the switch wires with a pencil tester
Customer: i can get to the switch wires with a pencil tester
Customer: i can get to the switch wires with a pencil tester
kalamykid :

Sorry for the problems withthe chat. The site ahs just started useingit and are still working the bugs out.

kalamykid :

kalamykid :

kalamykid :

kalamykid :

You will need to connect your test ligt to a good ground and prob the tan wireand the light green wire on the back of the switch. When you probe the tan wire move the switch to the forward position and see if the test light light up. Then test the light green wire and move the switch to the backwards postion. Let me know if the light lights up.

kalamykid :

kalamykid :

kalamykid :

I need to take a break for about 1 hour, is that ok with you?

kalamykid :

kalamykid :

kalamykid :

kalamykid :

kalamykid :

Customer: the plug from the motor was disconnected. problem solved
Customer: the plug from the motor was disconnected. problem solved
Customer: the plug from the motor was disconnected. problem solved
kalamykid :

kalamykid :