Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

2002 Buick Century: remove ignition tumbler on same car

Customer Question
what are the steps to...
what are the steps to change malty switch on a 2002 Buick Century.
How to remove ignition tumbler on same car
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Buick
2/19/2010
Buick Mechanic: Matt J, Buick Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Matt J
Matt J, Buick Mechanic

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

Object Number: 217453  Size: SH

• Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
  • Turn OFF the ignition.
  • Remove the key from the ignition switch.
  • Remove the IP fuse block access door.

Important

With the AIR BAG Fuse removed and the ignition ON, the AIR BAG indicator illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.

• Remove the AIR BAG Fuse.
  • Object Number: 640349  Size: SH

Caution: When you are carrying an undeployed inflator module: When you are storing an undeployed inflator module, make sure the bag opening points away from the surface on which the inflator module rests. When you are storing a steering column, do not rest the column with the bag opening facing down and the column vertical. Provide free space for the air bag to expand in case of an accidental deployment. Otherwise, personal injury may result.

• On the back side of the steering wheel are 4 openings for removing the driver inflator module.

• Turn the steering wheel until 2 of the openings are on the top.
  • Adjust and install J 44298 into 2 of the holes.

Important

Seat the air bag removal tool all the way in to perform properly.

• Push the handle back towards the instrument panel (I/P) releasing the 2 spring loaded fasteners at the same time.
  • Turn the steering wheel and repeat the same steps for the other 2 openings.
  • Pull the module gently away from the steering wheel.
    Object Number: 294362  Size: SH

Important

Note the driver inflator wire routing positions, the redundant control routing positions, and the horn wire routing positions for the correct re-assembly.

• Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) and remove the inflator module electrical connector.
  • Remove the horn contact lead.
  • Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
  • Scribe an alignment mark on the steering wheel hub. Align the mark with the slash mark on the steering shaft.
    Object Number: 294367  Size: SH

• Loosen the steering wheel nut.
  • Position the steering wheel nut flush with the end of the steering shaft.
    Object Number: 255213  Size: SH

• Assemble J 1859-A with J 42578 on the steering wheel.
  • Use J 1859-A with J 42578 in order to unseat the steering wheel from the steering shaft.
  • Remove J 1859-A and J 42578 from the steering wheel.
  • Remove the steering shaft nut.
  • Remove the steering wheel from the steering shaft.
  • Unroute the SIR connector from the steering wheel.
  • Object Number: 294334  Size: SH

• Pivot the tilt lever back and forth, while pulling the lever from the column.
  • Remove the tilt lever from the steering column.
    Object Number: 415298  Size: SH

• Remove the 2 TORX ® head screws (1) from the lower trim cover (2).
    Object Number: 328807  Size: SH

• Remove the lower trim cover from the upper trim cover.
  • Tilt the lower trim cover down.
  • Slide the lower trim cover backward in order to disengage the locking tabs.
    Object Number: 814153  Size: SH

• Remove the 2 TORX ® head screws (1) from the upper trim cover (2).
  • Remove the upper trim cover (2) from the steering column.
  • Remove the wire harness straps from the wire harness assembly on the steering column.
  • Disconnect the multifunction switch assembly connector from the SIR coil assembly connector.
  • Slide the multifunction switch assembly connectors (2) out of the steering column bulkhead connector (1).
    Object Number: 814791  Size: SH

• Remove the screws (1) from the multifunction switch assembly (2).
  • Remove the multifunction switch assembly (2) from the steering column.
  • Matt J
    Matt J, Buick Mechanic

Did you have a question your reply did not contain anything?
    Don't see how to remove ignition switch tumbler to replace

Sorry about that. here is the instructions for that also.

Object Number: 373859  Size: SH

• Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
  • Remove the upper and lower steering column trim covers.
  • Disconnect the ignition lock cylinder electrical connector from the wiring harness on the column.
  • Put the key in the steering column lock cylinder set (1).
  • Turn the key to the START position.
  • Install a 1/16 allen wrench (2) into the hole on top of the lock module assembly to release the steering column lock cylinder set retaining pin.
  • Turn the steering column lock cylinder set (1) into the RUN position.
  • Pull the steering column lock cylinder set (1) out from the lock module assembly.
  • Remove the key from the steering column lock cylinder set (1).
  • Installation Procedure

Object Number: 373862  Size: SH

1. Insert the key into the steering column lock cylinder set (1).
    2. Line up the locking tab (2) and the positioning tab (3) of the steering column lock cylinder set with the locking tab slot (5) and the positioning tab slot (4) in the lock module assembly (6).
    3. Push the steering column lock cylinder set (1) into the lock module assembly (6).
    4. Rotate the steering column lock cylinder set (1) in the lock module assembly (6) into all positions.
    5. Connect the ignition lock cylinder electrical connector to the wiring harness on the column.
    Matt J
    Matt J
    Matt J, Buick Mechanic