Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1998 BUICK: HOW DO I GAIN ACCESS TO REPLACE HEATER DOOR ACTUATOR

Customer Question

HOW DO I GAIN ACCESS TO REPLACE HEATER DOOR ACTUATOR ON A 1998 BUICK PARK AVE?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.

Remove the sound insulator panel under the passenger side dash. Remove the glove compartment from the dash to access the temperature actuator (5).

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
DAVE I HAVE REMOVED ALL THE PANELS AND GLOVE COMPARMENT AND I DO NOT SEE THE DOOR ACTUATOR CAN YOU GIVE ME A MORE DETAIL VEIW
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
Is it the drivers side actuator or the passenger side actuator that is bad?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
DAVE THE DEALER SAID THE OUTSIDE AIR ACTUATOR AND THE MODE ACTUATOR IS BAD . I AM ONLY GETTING WARM AIR TO THE PASSENGER SIDE. THE DRIVER SIDE IS BLOWING COLD AIR.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.

Sounds like you got some misinformation from the dealer. The mode acutator changes air delivery modes from floor to vent to defrost. The air inlet actuator changes the air inlet from recirculate mode to fresh air mode. The problem is the drivers side temperature actuator if the drivers side will not get warm.

This actuator is located on the drivers side of the a/c case and can be accessed from under the drivers side dash. The actuator is near the area of the accelerator pedal.

graphic

• Remove the left side sound insulator. (plastic under dash panel).
  • Remove the aspirator muffler.
  • Disconnect the electrical connector from the driver air mix actuator.
  • Remove the driver air mix actuator retaining screws (1).
  •  

graphic

• Remove the driver air mix actuator
  • At this point, you can turn the shaft comingout of hte a/c case by hand, this should change air temp from cold to hot. If you can control the temp manually, replace the actuator.
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    DAVE THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION. IT WILL TAKE ME SOME TIME TO TRY OUT YOUR IMPUT. I WIILL GET BACK WITH YOU LATER JOHN
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
    No problem. Let me know how you make out, and if you need any additional info.,
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    DAVE; YOUR INFORMATION WAS A GREAT HELP.I HAVE NOT CHECHED EVERYTHING OUT COMPLETELY. LOOKS LIKE THE MODE ACTUATOR WAS STUCK IN THE VENT POSITION. I FREED IT UP MANUALLY AND IT MOVES TO DIFFERENT POSITIONS THANKS FOR OUR HELP JOHN
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
    Glad to be able to help. Thank you for using Just Answer. I'll leave this question open, just let me know if you need additional help.