John, Buick Master Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 w/L1 GM master technician.Factory certified with 40 years experience.
6408229

2008 Buick Enclave traction control problems.

My Service Traction Control and Service Stability track lights are on. Would you be able to explain why this is happening. My car has gone for repair on the transmission twice. Can this be the problem?

Category: Buick
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Could you explain your situation a little more?
What year & model is your Buick ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a 2008 Buick Enclave.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Ok, the traction control & stability is a part of the Anti Lock Brake System. When these lights come on, there has been a failure code, set in the computer for a circuit failure.

This can be a sensor problem sometimes or a calibration change for the computer. You should have your local GM dealer check these systems for failures.These 2 systems work together through the EBCM (electronic brake control module).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

If I am understanding correctly this is a brake problem? And if so do I need new brakes? Not so smart with cars.

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

This is part of the ABS (anti lock brake system), but I do not think you need new brakes .This is a fault within the computerized vehicle traction & stability control system. A scan of the computer must be done first to see what the failure is. Here is some GM info, that takes care of this problem a good bit of the time.

PIT4345A: ABS Traction Control And Stabilitrak Lights On No Codes - keywords BPMV brake inoperative intermittent light message TCS VSES - (Mar 20, 2008)

Subject:ABS Traction Control And Stabilitrak Lights On No Codes
Models:2008 Buick Enclave (Built Prior to Build Date 6/19/2007)
2007 GMC Acadia
2007 Saturn Outlook

This PI was superseded to update models, model years and Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIT4345.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

The ABS light, Traction control and/or Stabilitrak indicators are on with no DTCs stored in the EBCM. Using the Tech 2 the lights can be commanded on and off. The Tech 2 data list under Electronic Brake Control Module will display ABS Failed "YES" TCS Failed "YES" and VSES Failed "YES"

For 2008 Buick Enclave only (Built Prior to Build Date 6/19/2007) follow the instructions below in section A. For all others, see section B.

A

Important: Diagnose all other vehicle DTCs before using this diagnostic.

1. Reprogram the EBCM with latest available software release in TIS2WEB,
  2. Turn the Ignition OFF and wait 30 seconds,
  3. Test drive the vehicle in a straight line at a speed over 15 mph (24 kph).
  4. Read DTC(s); are there any EBCM DTC(s) set? If YES, follow the flow chart in SI for the specific DTC(s). If NO, proceed to step 5.
  5. Was the ABS and/or Stabilitrak indicator light(s) and DIC message(s) ON? If YES, proceed to step 6. If NO, then no repairs are necessary.
  6. With the ignition On, perform the IP cluster display test with a scan tool; the stability system caution indicator should turn ON then OFF using the scan tool.
    If the stability system caution indicator DOES NOT turn OFF, replace the IPC.
    If the stability system caution indicator DOES turn OFF, replace the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) assembly (This part will come with the Electronic Brake control Module (EBTCM)).

2007 Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia vehicles follow the instructions below.

B

1. Turn the ignition OFF and wait 30 seconds,
  2. Test drive the vehicle in a straight line at a speed over 15 mph (24 kph).
  3. Read DTC(s); are there any EBCM DTC(s) set? If YES, follow the flow chart in SI for the specific DTC(s). If NO, proceed to step 4.
  4. Was the ABS and/or Stabilitrak indicator light(s) and DIC message(s) ON? If YES, proceed to step 5. If NO, then no repairs are necessary.
  5. With the ignition On, perform the IP cluster display test with a scan tool; the stability system caution indicator should turn ON then OFF using the scan tool

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.