ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Buicks. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

buick century: ive had to replace the rocker arm bolt, its stripping

I have a 03 buick century, ive had to replace the rocker arm bolt, its stripping out. a helicoil is the cure. But, I think it happened again today. i hard accelerated, the engine stuttered and began to miss. Check engine light came on. This problem has occured twice before. Why is this happening?

The intake pushrods measure 144 mm (5.68 inch) long. The exhaust pushrods measure 152.5 mm (6.0 inch) long.

Sounds like you have an exhaust push rod in an intake 'hole'.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The push rods have never been touched,as far as I know, its the bolt that holds the rocker arm in place. These bolts are stripping, as if theyve been overtightend. The mech showed me the bolt. To fix it he drilled out the threads in the head and intstalled a helicoil and used a new stud. this has happened in the #1 and #3 cylinders. Now I think its happened again. Ive never heard of this happening. The rocker arm pivot doesnt take that much pressure. right? But, these studs are getting pulled out. Ive never had any work done on the car except for the notorious leaking intake manifold gasket, that thoes engine are famous for. In fact I had that gasket replaced for the second time only 2 weeks ago. The same shop has done all the work on this car . The car was running just fine when I picked it up last time.

Yes, and after that notorious intake manifold problem.. there is also the notorious wrong pushrod problem that happens when your mechanic is not paying attention to what they are doing.
Let me guess.. the problem never happened until after the intake gasket issue.. right?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, but the first time, it happened about a year after the work, this time two week. I guess ill shop around for someone that knows that engine better. Thanks for your time.