Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1990 Buick LeSabre 3800 sometimes wont start. It turns over

Customer Question

1990 Buick LeSabre 3800 sometimes won't start. It turns over but won't run. Also has started to kill at stopsigns. Re-starts fine. Burned out a battery trying to start it a few weeks ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
Hello,well everything you have already tried in your list here is a very good start(sometimes it works),when the vehicle stalls do you have to wait a period of time before it restarts again or does it always restart right away?When it does stall out and you turn the key back on do you hear the fuel pump running at all in the tank(it should run for about 2 seconds when you first turn the key on it should sound like a hissing or humming noise coming from the tank area)?Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does it always restart right away? No
the last few times with a new battery, yes. I assume the multiple tries to start prior to the new battery burned out a plate or two and I replaced the battery.
Yes I do hear the fuel pump every time? um, now that I think about it, I only pay attention to the fuel pump when I am specifically listening for just that. The times I have listened for it I have heard it.
Thanks Pete,