Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

1996 Buick Century 3.L. Intermittent stalling. Usually not

Customer Question
when cold. Replaced fuel filter...
1996 Buick Century 3.L. Intermittent stalling. Usually not when cold. Replaced fuel filter, air filter, IAC valve. Used fuel injector cleaner. Took it to a GM dealership-no code founds and did not stall and they ran it for 3 hours. Fuel pressure was good. I have had it stall after starting in park, and it will always restart easily. Then it ran in park for 45 minutes w/o stalling. The other day it stalled while driving at freeway speed. Restarted right up. Only sems to do this when the weather is hot. This problem really started after vehicle ran out of gas a few weeks backs. Put in fuel injector cleaner and it ran fine for a week then it stalled. That is when I replaced the fuel filer, and then teh air filter and IAC.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Buick
7/14/2009
Buick Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician replied 8 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
WElcome. There are 2 parts that Isuspect are the issue here. First is the crankshaft position sensor andthe second is the ignition module. Both are known for issues when they get hot. I would start with the crank sensor and see as it is not expensive.
How difficult is it to replace teh cran sensor on this vehicle? I was going to do that but I do not want to move the engine.

The sensor is not bad, you can get at it from under the vehicle. Just be sure to gently remove the sensor. If it breaks off, then you need to remove the oil pan to push it out from the back side.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician