Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

1997 Buick Park Avenue .... left turn signal stays on solid,

Customer Question
even when car is switched...
1997 Buick Park Avenue .... left turn signal stays on solid, even when car is switched off. Have to remove flasher fuse from fuse block panel in order to deactivate it. When fuse is replaced, left turn signal is on solid again. Right-turn signal works properly, as does right-flasher. Replaced combination switch, but problem persists. Checked all bulbs, which appear to be just fine.

Is there another flasher unit on the line between the combination switch and the bulbs?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Robert A.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Buick
5/25/2009
Buick Mechanic: marcpod, Own collision repair advice replied 8 years ago
marcpod
marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Welcome to just answer. This is a wiring issue check for crimped, pinched or cut wire by that light.

The turn signals at both the front and rear of the vehicle remain on and the dashboard left turn signal arrow remains on solid even after the lever has been returned to the default (neutral) position and the engine has been switched off.

I will check for wiring issues at both ends of the vehicle, and will run an ohmeter across the wires to check resistance in the lines.

Thank you.

Robert A.

ok and let me know what you come up with. Thanks

I have not had an opportunity to check all of the wiring as yet, but wil let you know once I have been able to do so.

Thank you again.

Robert A.

ok

I have checked the wiring and cannot find any crimps, breaks or other defects. I believe that this vehicle (1997) has an electronic flasher unit housed under the dash (which is difficult to access) that controls the turn signals. I am assuming that there must be a left side and right side component to this unit in order to control each respective side lights depending upon the setting of the combination switch.

Could this unit be the source of the problem?

Thank you.

Robert A.

Buick Mechanic: Matt J, Buick Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Matt J
Matt J, Buick Mechanic

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

Your problem is being caused by a internal short inside the Hazzard/Turn signal Flasher Module.

SMU - SECTION 8C - REVISED PROCEDURE & ILLUSTRATION #73-83-14 - (Apr 1, 1997)

SUBJECT: SERVICE MANUAL UPDATE - SECTION 8C - REVISED PROCEDURE AND ILLUSTRATION FOR HAZARD/TURN SIGNAL FLASHER REPLACEMENT

MODELS: 1997 BUICK PARK AVENUE

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING ISSUED TO REVISE THE HAZARD/TURN SIGNAL FLASHER REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE IN SECTION 8C OF THE SERVICE MANUAL.

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT

1. LEFT SOUND INSULATOR, SCREWS AND ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS.

2. BRAKE SWITCHES FROM BRAKE PEDAL BRACKET. REFER TO BRAKES IN THE SERVICE MANUAL.

3. LOWER END OF IN-CAR TEMP TEMPERATURE DUCT FROM MUFFLER BY PULLING OFF.

4. IN-CAR TEMP DUCT MUFFLER FROM HVAC CASE.

5. DISCONNECT ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS FROM THE PANEL DIMMING MODULE (PDM) AND THE LIGHTING CONTROL MODULE (LCM).

6. REMOVE THE RETAINER FROM BRACKET SUPPORTING THE PANEL DIMMING MODULE (PDM) AND THE LIGHTING CONTROL MODULE (LCM).

7. REMOVE THE PANEL DIMMING MODULE (PDM) AND THE LIGHT CONTROL MODULE (LCM).

8. REMOVE SCREW FROM HVAC DUCT SUPPORT BRACKET AND PUSH THE DUCT FORWARD IN VEHICLE TO INCREASE CLEARANCE.

9. REMOVE THE FLASHER MODULE FROM THE BRACKET. (TWIST MODULE TO AID IN REMOVAL; BREAKAGE OF THE TAB ON MODULE MAY BE NECESSARY.)

MODIFY

1. MEASURE AND DRAW OUT DIMENSIONS SHOWN IN THE ILLUSTRATION.

2. USING A UTILITY KNIFE OR SIMILAR CUTTING TOOL, CUT OUT SLOT IN MODULE RETAINER.

3. TEST THE FIT OF THE FLASHER MODULE IN THE SLOT. ADJUST SIZE OF SLOT TO ALLOW THE FLASHER MODULE TO FIT SNUG BUT NOT OVER TIGHT.

INSTALL OR CONNECT

1. INSTALL THE HVAC DUCT SUPPORT BRACKET SCREW TO THE CROSS CAR BEAM.

2. INSTALL THE PDM AND THE LCM INTO BRACKET.

3. CONNECT THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR TO THE FLASHER MODULE.

4. ALIGN THE MODULE RETAINER TO THE MODULE BRACKET BUT DO NOT FULLY INSTALL.

5. SLIDE THE FLASHER MODULE INTO THE SLOT IN THE MODULE RETAINER.

6. PUSH ON THE MODULE RETAINER TO ENGAGE LOCKING TABS.

7. RECONNECT THE PDM AND LCM ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS.

8. INSTALL IN-CAR TEMP DUCT MUFFLER TO HVAC CASE.

9. LOWER END OF IN-CAR TEMP TEMPERATURE DUCT TO MUFFLER BY PUSHING ON UNTIL SEATED.

10. BRAKE SWITCHES TO BRAKE PEDAL BRACKET. REFER TO BRAKES IN THE SERVICE MANUAL.

11. LEFT SOUND INSULATOR, (2) SCREWS AND (2) ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS.

FIGURES: 01 ATTACHMENTS: 00

FIGURE 1: 1. 1.6 MM (1/16 IN.) 2. 5 MM (3/16 IN.) 3. 13 MM (1/2 IN.) 4. OLD MOUNTING LOCATION 5. SLOT LOCATION 6. RETAINER

graphic

Matt J
Matt J, Buick Mechanic

Thank you very much. The flasher module appears to have been the culprit. Everything is working as it should be after replacing the part.

Matt J
Matt J
Matt J, Buick Mechanic