George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+years
13574682

Buick Century Limited 2002 Wiper Blades wont go down.

My Wiper blades will not go down when using the switch. When I drive I have to put them in the slowest intermittent setting. When I turn the car off they go to a straight up position. What to do?
Category: Buick
Expert:  George H. replied 8 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Your condition is addressed in a Technical service bulletin,

File In Section: 08 - Body and Accessories

Bulletin No.: 02-08-43-002

Date: May, 2002

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Windshield Wipers Park In Outwipe Position
(Install Wiper Motor Crank Arm and Wiper Motor Bracket Service Kit)

Models:
2002 Buick Century, Regal
2002 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

Condition

Some customers may comment that the windshield wipers park in the outwipe (vertical) position.

Cause

This condition may be caused by a bent park tab on the windshield wiper motor bracket.

Correction

To correct this condition, install a new windshield wiper motor crank arm and a windshield wiper motor bracket service kit. Use the following service procedure:

graphic

Remove the windshield wiper motor drive system module. Inspect the park tab on the wiper motor bracket. It may be bent as shown in the illustration above. Refer to the Wiper Drive System Module Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID # XXXXX).

2.Remove the windshield wiper transmission from the windshield wiper motor bracket. Refer to the Wiper Transmission Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID # XXXXX).

3.Remove the windshield wiper motor crank arm from the windshield wiper motor. Refer to the Wiper Motor Crank Arm Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID # XXXXX).

4.

Remove the windshield wiper motor from the windshield wiper motor bracket. Refer to the Wiper Motor Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID # XXXXX).

graphic

Reassemble the windshield wiper motor drive system using a new windshield wiper motor crank arm, P/N 12494832 and the contents of the windshield wiper motor bracket service kit, P/N 88958149 (in Canada, P/N 88958260). The park tab on the new wiper motor bracket should be straight as shown in the illustration shown above.

6.Reinstall the windshield wiper motor transmission onto the new windshield wiper motor bracket. Refer to the Wiper Transmission Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID # XXXXX).

7.Reinstall the windshield wiper motor onto the windshield wiper motor bracket. Refer to the Wiper Motor Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID # XXXXX). Refer to the instruction sheet in the service kit for the proper installation of the flat washer onto the windshield wiper motor bracket. It must be seated against the park tab on the windshield wiper motor bracket.

8.Reinstall the windshield wiper motor crank arm onto the windshield wiper motor. Refer to the Wiper Motor Crank Arm Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer Systems sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID # XXXXX).

9.Reinstall the windshield wiper drive system module into the vehicle. Refer to the Wiper Drive System Module Replacement procedure in the Wipers/Washer sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID # XXXXX).

10.

Test the operation of the windshield wipers and washer

.

To remove the wipers

1. Remove the air inlet grille panel.
  2. Remove the wiper motor water deflector.
  3. Using the J 39232, disconnect the wiper transmission from the wiper motor crank arm.

graphic

If you need more detailed instruction let me know your level of ability

Thank you