Buick

Buick Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Buick

Where is the inline fuse for a 1995 Buick LeSabre horn?

1/23/2009
Travis
Travis, Buick Technician

Thanks for the question

The horn fuse is Fuse #3 in the relay center.

The engine compartment relay center is located on the right side of the firewall, under a plastic cover.

The interior relay center is located behind the right side of the dash.

There is also a fuse block located behind the left side of the dash.

Here is a diagram of all these locations...

graphic

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Travis

I had already checked the Horn/Trunk 60A fuse in the Maxi/Fuse Relay center. It was good. I also replaced the relay that has two orange wires, one green and one black wire.

I also had already looked for a fuse under the dash by the driver's door and there is not a horn fuse there.

I have a bad airbag/horn switch and the horn would blow all the time so I unplugged both horns. Each horn has an orange wire and black wire plugged into it. I removed the orange wire on the passenger side horn and accidentally touched it to the ground terminal on the battery. I heard a pop coming from the fuse/relay center and now the horns will not work at all.

None of the relays are identified as to what they're for and there is no chart on the fuse/relay cover either.

Then I recommend getting a test lamp and going one by one, touch each of the fuses to make sure there is power on both sides of the fuse. Do this in the left and right interior fuse centers and under the hood as well.

Grounding out that wire would have blown a fuse. That would be the reason for the pop noise. I doubt that a relay was damaged by this.

If I use my VOM to check each of the fuses in the fuse/relay center for continuity it should detect a blown fuse, right?
Correct, the VOM with say "OL" if the fuse is blown. Or if your VOM has the tone setting, put it on that setting. It will make a tone on each good fuse.
Can I check the fuses tomorrow and let you know?
Yes, I will leave this open. Thanks
I just checked all the fuses in the fuse/relay center with my VOM and they all checked out OK.

That does not make any since to me. We are missing something here. This horn circuit is really easy and short. If all the fuses are good, then something else shorted out or a wire may have melted somewhere, which would be hard to trace.

The only other thng I can suggest is to trace the wiring the best you can and if needed, run a new circuit with new wiring and its own fuse holder.

I believe the horn relay has two orange wires, one green wire and one black wire.

Each horn has a plug with a black wire and a green wire that gets plugged into each horn.

If you could, please tell me how to rewire from the horn relay to each horn. Are the horns wired in series so I only have to provide new wiring to one horn?

The horns are wired in paralle, you can just branch off one green wire to run to both.

The 2 orange wires at the realy are the power supply. You can run a new power wire and splice into the orange wires. This will give you power to the relay. That will bypass any factory fuse, just install a new inline fuse holder.

The black wire on the relay comes from the horn button

The green wire runs to the horns.

The black wire on the horns just attaches to a metal ground, in this case it should be above each horn.

the horn switch, which is part of the air bag has a red wire going into the steering column and a black wire that is grounded to the center of the steering column.
Correct, that wire is only red until it goes into the slipring, on the other side of the slipring, the wire is black. This sends a ground signal to the relay, not a power signal.
It seems that I need to check continuity of the black wire from the passenger horn to the black wire on the relay. If it is open then I can bypass it with a new black wire.

I can't do anything until tomorrow.

Thats correct, you could do that. Also, depress and turn the plastic peice around the red wire going into the column. The will release that wire. Press the horn button and check for continuity between that red wire and the ground. This will check the horn switch.

** be very carfull removeing that red wire. Turn the plastic peice very lightly. There is a little tab that locks into a grove and can break really easy. Just push down a little and turn it to the right.

Please keep me up to date.

I'm going to try to trace the four wires coming from the relay to see if I can find a break or burn area. If you can think of anything we haven't covered please let me know.

I'll let you know my results.

Place your VOM on one of the orange wires at the relay and to ground to see if there is 12 at the relay, check both orange wires this way.

Then at the relay, place one terminal from the VOM on the green wire and the other terminal on the green wire at the horn. This will tell you if there is an open circuit.

Then place one VOM terminal from the horn switch and if it will reach, the other end on the black wire at the relay. Have someone press the horn button to check for an open there.

Doing this test should narrow down which wire is having the problem.

Keep me posted.

Thanks

There is no voltage to either orange wire.

If I need to install a new 12V wire to one of the orange wires, which orange wire do I use?

There is continuity from the relay green wire and the horn green wire.
Where do the orange wires go?
The orange wire going to the relay come striaght from the horn fuse. From the fuse it starts as one orange wire, then splits into 2 wires where it comes into the relay, so basically those 2 orange wires at the relay come from the same fuse. You would connect 12 volts to both of the orange wires.
OK. I was able to access the back of the 60A horn/door locks/trunk release fuse and there was only one red wire attached to the fuse.

The two orange wires from the horn/door locks/trunk release relay are going into a harness that enters the upper corner of the passenger compartment.

Where are these orange wires going? The door locks and trunk release work fine.

How do I get 12V to operate the horns?

1. splice a wire from the battery to one of the orange wires?

2. splice a wire from the battery to both orange wires?

That 60 amp fuse is not the correct one. There should be a single, small fuse listed as "#3". It is a 15 amp fuse. The 60 amp just supplies the power to the other fuse ( locks, trunk and horn fuses). The horn fuse will be located in the interior fuse box, on the driver side under the dash.

However, to just get the horns working, run a 12 volt wire to both orange wires right at the horn relay. Cut the wires from the relay leaving about 6 inches of wire to play with, then connect the new 12 volt wire there. You will have to add an inline fuse for those new wires you run to the horn relay.

I would like to check the fuses under the dash but I can't get to them very well. I'm 71 and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Is there a way I can remove the entire fuse block so I can better see if there is a blown fuse?

The fuse places are labeled 1A 2A 3A, 1B, 2B, 3B 1C, 2C,3C, 1D, 2D, 3D, 1E, 2E,3E etc. None are marked for the horn and some are marked as spares and there are lots of vacant spots.

I was hoping I could eliminate the fuse before I added a new power wire.

As you can see from my description of the fuse panel there in no #3.

Unfortunatly, there is no easy way to remove the fuse box. The only thing I would suggest before adding wire, is for you or someone else to pull 1 fuse at a time, check it and move on to the next one.

Like I said, there is a fuse somewhere in that fuse block, the passenger side fuse block or the one under the hood that is blown. There has to be.

It's too dark to do any more today. Tomorrow I'll pull each fuse and check it with my VOM. I'll keep you posted. You've been great through all of this and eventually I'll pay you and leave great feedback.

Brent

I'll be here to help.

You can actually skip the VOM and just look through them using a flash light, you will see if the metal peice in the middle has broken, or blown.

Thank you very much.

graphic

I think I finally understand why both orange wires have to have a 12V source. One orange wire goes to ground to energize the low current coil to close the contacts and the other orange wire goes to the energized contacts and to the green wire.

Am I right?
You are correct, here is a nice little example of one in action, click here!, click the switch to see it work.
Thank you so much. I have two final questions.

1. If my horn switch in the steering wheel continues to stick can I cut the black wire to the relay, connect a push button spst switch into the circuit to activate the horns?

2. How do I award you the much deserved fee of $30.00?

Brent

You are more than welcome, I hope you get it taken care of.

To answer you questions,

1. Yes, you can just cut the wire going to the factory horn button, and branch it off to your own switch.

2. Your question is showing a value of $9.00, if you wish to make it $30.00, which I would greatly appreciate, then you would do this by adding a $21.00 bonus after you hit the accept button. I am not sure where the "Add bonus" is. It should be on either the accept page or the feedback page.

Once again Brent, thank you for your patience working with me and your situation. If you need help in the future, ask for me by name in your topic heading.

Thanks again,

Travis

Travis
Travis, Buick Technician
Travis
Travis
Travis, Buick Technician