Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Mercury black max constant alarm when key is turned to on…

Mercury black max constant...

Mercury black max constant alarm when key is turned to on postition

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Mercury black max 150 constant alarm sounding when the key is turned to the on position

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Boat Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Boat seems to run fine maybe temp sensor?

6/21/2022
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago
Shawn tech

Thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** will help you with your alarm.

Could you give me the serial number so I can be sure I am looking at the correct wire diagrams?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure 0c217565
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Perfect, I am pulling up this motor on the other screen.  Are you close to the motor right now so we can check a few things?

Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Okay, so with the key switch on the buzzer is constant correct?

Could you follow the tan wire from the temp switch on the back of the cylinder head until you find a bullet connector?

Also I will want you to find the fuel filter, at the bottom of the fuel filter you should have a wire connected to the bottom.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yesterday buzzer was on anytime key was turned to on position I just tried again and I get three beep all good beep when onI am removing good now and will find these wiresHood*
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Isn't that our luck.  It will be hard to diagnose if the buzzer is not going off but I will help you find a few things to try if it does go off again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll hook it up to the muffs and see if we can get it to go again
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok it's fired up waiting for buzzer
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Did you find the tan wire for the temp sensor on the back of the cylinder head?

Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Yes, that's the one.  Follow that wire until you see a bullet connector or an eye terminal on a connection block.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Bullet connector, perfect.  If the buzzer goes off try pulling that connector apart.  The tan wire when grounded is what activates the alarm.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok at running temp now no buzzer should I shut off and see if anything changes? That's how issue happened on the lake no issues until after first run
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Yes, try to make the alarm go off if you can.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm trying and now no issues....ughDo think that maybe the connection for the tan wire was faulty?
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

There are many things that will cause this.  It could be the temp switch itself, or the tan wire grounded from a bare wire.  It could also be the tan wire on the bottom of the fuel filter, or the oil warning module.  Also could be a bad buzzer itself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great.... I read maybe a water pump too no?
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

The only way to diagnose it is to eliminate one thing at a time by disconnecting each component individually.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I apologize for whatever reason all seems to be fine at the moment
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

If it is actually overheating, yes. That is the purpose of the tan wire at the head.  That is why I wanted you to check that first.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Which was not the case on the water last nightI have noticed it get hot during warm up before but typically it cools down if I don't put it in gear before it is at operation tempOk I held a rev and turned it off and now buzzer is going off when I turn on ignition but did not sound when runningI let it sit and buzzer turned off after a couple minutes I will try to get it on again
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

These impellers in the water pump need to be replaced regularly, they get stiff from sitting and don't pump sufficient pressure.  By running it on the hose you are forcing cooling water through the block, it may need to be in the water to get hot if that is whats is going on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok yea when I rev up to 3k and hold for a minute and shut off and turn back on buzzer is on when ignition is turned
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

When the buzzer is going off try disconnecting that bullet connector for your temp switch.

Can you hold your hand on the cylinder head, or is it super hot?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Buzzzer went off while waiting for response I will try to duplicate issueI can hold hand on cylinder head right now but buzzer does not stay on very long
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Try disconnecting this bullet connector and repeat what you did to make the buzzer come on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok disconnected bullet connector rev'd up then shut off buzzer was momentarily on then shut off after a short periodDid again buzzer sounds after motor is rev'd but does not stay on
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

There should be a tan wire on both cylinder heads can you disconnect both of them and test it again?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One is tan other is black they are held on by a 12 min bolt is this what you are talking about?
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Yes, see if that one has a bullet connector also to disconnect and retest.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The one tan wire connects to the previous bullet connector and the black one goes to a connector near top of motorDisconnected both wires buzzer came on then shortly afterwards shut off like before
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Hmmm. If you follow the tan wire further you should find a small plastic block where all of the tan wires are connected, could you see if you can find this connection block?

Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

The first picture.

There should be one tan wire that goes directly into the main wire harness plug,  Could you take the screw off and remove this one wire and retest?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok found it what's next
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

If you still get this alarm with this wire disconnected then we know it is in the boat side of the wiring.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so disconnect tan wire and try to get alarm to sound again after wire is disconnected?Actually black wire in this case
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Yes, there should be 3-4 tan wires on this connection block, you just need to remove the one that goes into the wire harness plug.

I assume the alarm will not come on, after this you will hook the wire going into the engine harness back up but only hook one other tan wire up at a time to see which wire is causing the alarm to come on.

Do you have a temp gun to shoot the head while it is running to see what the temp is exactly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok one sec
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

I am just getting ready to leave the shop, I will be back with you in about 30 minutes.  This should give you some time to test these wires individually.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok first one no different I will start trying the othersTan with blue stripe disconnected results in no buzzer at all not even initial 3 beepsSame with other tan wire with blue stripe no buzzer at all when key turnHooked them all back up letting motor get back to operating temp before attempting to get buzzer to sound againReconnected all cables and not having any buzzer issues...yet... connection issue?
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

It is possible it is a connection issue, but remember these tan wires are the wire supplying the ground to the alarm.  So more than a loose connection I would look for a bare wire some where.  The true test would be to test it on the water again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Connected all wires back up and after full temp and a rev hold at 3k for 30 sec turn off turn back on and buzzer stays on for about 10-15 sec before is clearedI can take it back out to water tonight if buzzer comes on should I be concerned?Example of what is going onUsually on water buzzer does not reset so quick
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

It would be nice to know what the cylinder head temp is but it should be fine to get it on the water.  If you get the solid alarm staying on again the first wire you need to pull is the tan wire coming from the cylinder head.  All of the tan wires on that plastic block are the ones that could be supplying the ground to the buzzer, so if you can get the alarm to come on and stay on you know where the wires are now and you could test things better if you can make the alarm stay on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok if buzzer stays on and I get it to shut off by disconnecting what does that tell me I need to do
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

You will need to find out what wire is grounding out the alarm.  If it is the temp switch you will need a water pump.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Which one is the temp switch? The one with the black wire ? When I disconnect the other two wires I get no alarm not even the first three buzzers
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

The tan wire on the head would be the temp switch.  One of the others would be for the oil module and the third would be for the fuel filter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok and if the temp switch is what is tripping the buzzer meaning when The buzzer is active if I remove that wire and the buzzer stops I need to replace my water pump
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

You could go to the auto parts store and buy a $15 temp gun this would tell us the best but yes, if the alarm stops with the temp switch disconnected then we know the motor is getting hot.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a temp gun but have already left the house I have to make a run before the boat will be in the water I'll run it until buzzer sounds. Then disconnect the black wire that goes to temp gauge and get back to you thanks for this
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

The tan wire with the bullet connector is the one you will want to disconnect.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it I'll let you know what happens
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

I'll be here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well it's not my day blew a tire before I could make it to the lake
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

One thing after another!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yep
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Always tomorrow!!

Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Did you have a chance to fix the tire and take the boat for a spin today?

Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

I was just checking to see if you had a chance to test the boat on the lake today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Probably not
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Okay, keep me posted when you get a chance to test it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I'm going to head out to the lake now
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok boats in the lake and buzzer is on before first startDisconnected bullet connector nothing changed
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Did you bring a screw driver to remove the other wires from the plastic block?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can do that which wires
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Remove all the tan wires, find the wire that goes into the main wire harness and install that wire with one of the other tan wires one at a time to see which tan wire is causing the buzzer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
O buzzer when tan wire with blue stripe (same with both while they are individually disconnected)No*
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Can you locate your oil warning module.  It should be a black box about 3" x 4"

Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

#3

I believe it is located on the top of the port side cylinder but I can't remember exactly.

Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

It will be the first picture on the side of the block.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Can you find the tan wire coming out of this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is one of the wires I previously disconnected
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

And with this wire disconnected the alarm stops?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are three wires connecting to one point one is black but I can tell from talking to you it was originally tan and two that are tan with blue stripe when I disconnect the black one nothing happens when I disconnect either of the tan with blue stripe wires the buzzer stops
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Can you follow these wires, tan with blue is for oil but I don't remember being 2 tan with blue.

The plain tan one should be for the temp sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One tan with blue goes to that module and the other one goes to a large connector on starboard side
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

That is the wire that goes directly to the buzzer.  It has to be the oil warning module.

The one that goes into the main engine harness plug is the other tan/blue.

Tell me it is a solid buzzer correct?  Not an intermittent beep beep beep.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
solid buzzer
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Okay, the oil warning module has to be shorted out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok do you have a part number for me?
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

The small engine mounted tank on the front of the motor is full correct?

The part number for this module is #41470A26, it is $418 Mercury retail.  Very expensive part to tell you that your engine mounted oil tank is low.  I won't say it is the correct thing to do but you could disconnect the tan wire for this module and keep an eye on the oil tank mounted on the engine.  This way the over heat alarm would still work but it eliminates the oil sensor for the engine mounted tank.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it thank you for all the info and your patience Shawn you've been great
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

The module has to be shorted internally because the sole purpose of the module is to give an intermittent beep for oil, when it is a solid alarm it is supposed to be for over heat....  Unless the module is internally shorted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One last question that module is supposed to tell me if my motor doesn't have oil could my oil pump (not sure if that's a thing) be out?
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

No there is no sensor for the oil pump, it is strictly a float in the engine mounted oil tank.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks
Marine Mechanic: Shawn tech,
 replied 1 month ago

Yes sir.  Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Shawn tech