Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

What are the signs and symptoms if an outboard 2 stroke

where to be running either...
What are the signs and symptoms if an outboard 2 stroke where to be running either to rich or to lean .
10/11/2020
Marine Mechanic: Yachtwork, Marine Engineer replied 2 years ago
Yachtwork
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer

Hello- There are two types of signs and symptoms. The fist is seen. This is what you would experience as the operator. A peppy engine might be running lean. An engine that bogs down might be running too rich. This would be espcilllay true if as you released the throttle the engine got a burst of power, as if you were slowing the throttle lever and the engine picked up power. A smokey engine might be running rich. An engine that is overheating might be running lean. Pinging engines tend to be lean running. In lean engines its not easy to get the throttle stable. It is almost as if the engine is hunting. A lean engine does not have much power. Not bogging, but just not a lot of power. Pops in the intake are good indications of too lean a mixture. The engine runs much better once its warmed up. That is lean or a slightly clogged jet. Lean running engines have whitish plug ends.

A rich engine needs to have a lot of throttles, and soon as the rpm's come up to keep up the power we have to open the throttle, even more, to give more air to overcome the fuel that is now flowing even more so we have to again chase the throttle. Rich engines work well cold, and then fall off when the engine warms up. Dark, black exhause is a good indication of rich, unburned fuel. If the air cleaner is removed rich running engines tend to have a quick improvement.

The general catch-all for adjusting carbs is to-

1. identify the high-speed air-fuel mixture, the low speed, and the idle.
  2. set the ideal adjustment so the engine runs kind of smooth.
  3. turn the low-speed mixture screw in till the engine drops off. turn the screw outward till the engine drops off. set the screw in the middle.
  4. reset the ideal screw so the engine sounds right, not so slow that if the plug misses a hit the engine dies, but no so fast the gears grind when shifting.
  5. take the boat out and run it up to full speed.
  6. turn the highspeed jet in till the engine begins to bog, then turn the screw out till it begins to bog the set the screw in the middle.

If the adjustments don't work then either the carb is dirty or the points of the needle valves have been ruinded.

Let me know how it goes.

Scott

Yachtwork
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer