Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I was going to run a seperate house and start battery

I was going to run...
I was going to run a seperate house and start battery through a 1/2/both switch and have a vsr connected in parallel between the two battery. now is this the correct way to hook up so that I can have both batteries charged but only use the start battery to crank engine?What do you recommend comes of the common or field post of the switch also?I was also thinking of maybe running a seperate on/off switch instead. If I choose this setup, what is the best way to do this and do I still hook up the vsr in paralell between the batteries and will the alternator still charge both batteries as required?
9/28/2020
Marine Mechanic: Yachtwork, Marine Engineer replied 2 years ago
Yachtwork
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer

Hi- I would be happy to help you with your question. My name is ***** ***** I have been working in the marine field for over 30 years. I am working at a shop in NZ and come up most days around 1pm PST and keep checking back for your responses till late in the night. I try and answer with clever and streetwise answers because I understand that not everyone has expensive test equipment and a garage full of tools. If you don’t understand one of my answers just ask.

Yes, the way you are trying to hook up the 1/2/all switch is correct. Well that is to say that is one way to hook up the battery switch. That takes two switches. One for the engine and one for the house.

OR one on/off switch for the engine and one on/off switch for the house and one on/off for the tie in parallel switch.

And yes the VSR is run independent to the battery switch as the VSR works off voltage from the alternator.

The field peg is not used. That is an old system that used to shut off the alternator before the battery is disconnected. That blows an alternator by the way. That is shutting off the alternator load.

I just re-read your question to be sure I got all the questions you asked. On the VSR, there are a few different switches. Most tie the two battery banks in parallel with a sense wire on the start battery. Then when the start battery is up to voltage the VSR trips and connects the batteries in parallel. This then charges both batteries at the same time. You can find a VSR that has a manual trip on the side. Blue Seas makes a version like this. Then you can use this for the parallel if you want. It saves a battery switch.

So that is yet another option to consider.

If it were me I would put on a 1/2/all for the engine and parallel switches. And an on/off for the house and a VSR to charge. That would by my preferred simple method.

Let me know how you get on.

Scott

What would you suggest wire size to run from house battery up to distribution.

When you run wire it is based on length and load and loss. That is many devices want only a 3% loss, and many more can take a 10% loss. And the length is based on both directions. So if you were running a bow thruster or bow winch and the boat is 40ft and the batteries are aft then the length of wire run would be about 80ft. Then we go to the chart once we have the above numbers and can get a clear determination of the wire size.

The short answer is it will most likely be about 6awg or maybe 4 if you want the easy upgrade.

So it will go battery, short distance to a fuse block, with 6 awg wire to the power distrabution panel.

The ground side does not get a fuse, just the wire to the block and to the power panel. All the grounds get tied together.

Scott

Yachtwork
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer