Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

My 140 HP V4 johnson has a Model number 14XXLCO. The serial

my 140 HP V4 johnson has a Model number 14XXLCO. The serial niumber is G7036831. The model number is ***** off where the xx is. I want to buy parts . Can u help identify
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me more about what's going on?
Customer: i want to buy a card kit and cannot positively identify motor as Model number is *****
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?
Customer: that is Carb kit.

Hello my name is ***** ***** will assist you with your question. So your correct model nr is J140TLCO. This stands for the following:

J - Johnson

140 - 140 HP

T - Trim and tilt Electric Strart

L - Long Shaft 20inch

CO - 1985

As for the parts, here is a link for the part catalogue of your engine:

https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/6754.cfm

And here is for the carb repair kit :

https://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/15864.cfm

If you require further assistance do not hesitate to contact me back.

Noel

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thanks now my engine stutters on acceleration. When using hi test + sea foam for the first tank it ran fine. Once on camp gas, problem began. Adding sea foam seemed to help a bit. Engine will also stutter when running at 30 mph. Once warm, engine runs well at all speeds. Engine also starts well and idles fine. The one time I could pump bulb while accelerating, no hesitation but that I could only do once. same thing last year. I use the boat once a year for a week last two years. Fuel starvation? Air/fuel mixture? How do I tell and fix? Thanks

Ok it looks like blocked jets in the carbs. Ideally get a repair kit and get the carbs rebuilt. To do so, remove the carbs and open the bowls. Remove all rubber parts float and needle and soak in carb cleaner for a couple of hours. Then blow well with compressed air and reassemble the new kit. Replace everything back and it should be ok.