Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

4 beep code? 4 beep code every 2 min I do not know how to…

4 beep code ? ...

4 beep code ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

4 beep code every 2 min I do not know how to reset

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercury?

1115

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Mercury?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes had fuel tank pumped an cleaned installed separate waater seperater new water filter &sspark plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Engine shuts down then restarts pump up primer pump then runs steady but beeps 4 times every 2 or3 minuits

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/17/2019
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I am sorry to hear you are having these problems with your Mercury. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back on the water quickly.
It is my job here to have a pleasant tone with you. Show empathy to your situation. Have a positive interaction with you. Finally, seek clarification from you as to what your questions are, instead of assuming. That being said, Mercury outboards are cataloged by serial number. Do you have your outboard serial number handy so that I can look your engine up? If not, is the engine a 4 stroke EFI engine or a 2 stroke Optimax engine?

You do not seem to be here and I do not know if you will respond back or not, so I will leave you with this.

If you have an Optimax engine

The 4 beep alarm will sound for 2 different reasons on Optimax engines, with water in the fuel being one of them, low oil in the oil tank being the other, or if the oil tank itself is bad. I will explain. On the water side of things. Depending on your engines serial number, there will be a water detection sensor in the bottom of either the engine mounted fuel filter or screwed into the side of the vapor separator tank itself. Step 1 is unplugging this sensor. If that alarm stops, then you have water in the fuel or a bad water detection sensor. To tell which it is, drain the engine mounted fuel filter and/or vapor separator tank into a clean glass jar and see if the fuel looks cloudy or not. If it's cloudy, there is water in the fuel. If it's not cloudy, then there is no water in the fuel, and the water sensor is simply bad. If you are unable to locate your water detection sensor, just reply back with your serial number and I will look it up for you.

If unplugging that water sensor doesn't change anything, and the alarm still goes off, then you have oil tank. What happens with the oil tanks is inside of the tank there is a magnetic float that rides on the level of the oil inside of the tank. The oil level sensor reads the magnetic field created by this float. What happens with all of the floats over time is the float gets waterlogged with oil, which causes the float to sink to the bottom of the oil tank, making the oil sensor think the tank is low when it's really full. This is a very common occurrence and the engine mounted oil tanks on Optimax engines are considered a wear and tear item, and they do not last forever. Over the course of a 2500 hour engine lifespan, the engine might go through 2 or 3 oil tanks. Does that all make sense to you.

If you have a Four Stroke engine

On the 4 stroke engines the 4 beep alarm is a general sensor failure alarm. It is the engines equivalent of a "check engine light". If your engine is a 4 stroke and you are getting an alarm, the engine will need to be hooked up to a scan tool in order to pull codes and see which sensor is causing the alarm. Does that all make sense to you.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to reply back. If I do not hear back from you, I thank you in advance.
Good luck!
-Jason

Thanks for that information that really helps my other problem is engin shuts down l then have too pump the primer bulb to restart

I would need to know exactly which engine you have here, as I did my best previously with the information I was given. Do you have your outboard serial number handy so I can look your outboard up?

IB426671

Thank you for that, 1 moment while I look it up.

Okay got it, you do have an Optimax engine, which means the alarm can be caused by water in the fuel or an oil tank issue. Water in the fuel would certainly cause the engine to shut down. have you tried draining the vapor separator tank, changing the fuel filter, and checking the fuel itself to see if it was cloudy or otherwise shown signs of water?

the tank has drained I have also drained and cleaned the fuel tank I’ve also installed a external filter separater

Got it. How about running the outboard off of a portable fuel tank hooked up directly to the engine to rule out possible fuel tank issues like clogs and air leaks between the outboard and boats fuel tank. Have you done that?

I was thinking that I might have a fuel pump problem maybe the vacuum pump?

It's possible. The easiest way to tell if you have a fuel pump issue or a fuel supply issue is to hook the outboard up directly to a portable fuel tank, bypassing everything in between the low pressure fuel pump and boats fuel tank. If you want to test it by the book, you would need to run what is called a boat side fuel system test. I am attaching 2 different PDF files for you, they will explain how to test the boats fuel system and also the low pressure fuel pump. Give the files a read, and just let me know if you have any questions on any of the steps involved.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
DFI internal float broke off

This was from last week. Did you have a question on the issue or did you get it figured out?

I have epoxyed the float onto the float arm don’t know if it will last this was inside the DFI pump I see that I cannot get a replacement float on any parts list that I can find

Did you have an additional question for me?

My only question is how can I find a new float

I would need the serial number off of your outboard in order to look up any parts for it. Do you have your serial number handy?

1B426671

Okay got it. The float you are asking about is the one inside of the Vapor separator tank, correct?

Did you get the serial number

Yes I did. Did you get my response where I wrote "Okay got it. The float you are asking about is the one inside of the Vapor separator tank, correct?"

The part number on the float is 889320A1