Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2006 Seadoo GTX Limited Supercharged ic. I've owned…

Hi. I have a 2006...
Hi. I have a 2006 Seadoo GTX Limited Supercharged ic. I've owned it for 4 years. Love it!
This post summer we were on the lake. My neice and her friend wanted to try to wake board. First timers. After multiple tries I finally got them both up. They each weigh about 120 lbs. Then my brother in law wanted to try. He weighs about 280 lbs. We tried about 7 or 8 times to get him up. Unfortunately my jet ski is just not powerful enough. I could tell that the ski was struggling. So after 8 tries, we decided to give up. In the last try I noticed that it had a slight "flutter" while I was accelerating. After hearing this, I decided to open her up and go for a quick ride around the lake. Everything sounded fine. So my neice rode it around for the next hour or two. She said it seemed fine. Before we left the lake I decided to go for a buzz, just to see if I noticed anything weird. So from an Idle, if you punch it there is a flutter for just a second. Also the rpms seem to go up a bit without much acceleration of the ski. This only lasts about two seconds. Then once the ski starts accelerating then the engine seems to bite and then everything seems fine. I am kind of new on working on jets skis. But I've been an auto mechanic for many years. If I had to relate it to an automotive thing then I would say it is similar to a slipping clutch. If you stomp on it then you get a little bit of slipping right at first. So there's that plus the little flutter.
Other than that everything sounds great. It gets up to full speed relatively quickly.
I did suspect it may have overheated. I checked the radiator and the oil. No sign of blown head gasket.
One other note. I do have another jet ski. It is a 2003 Waverunner GP1300R. It's a 2 stroke. I made the mistake of trying to tow a drowning jet ski with it. I had the throttle wide open and was only moving about 5 mph. Needless to say that engine burnt up very quickly. It was a very expensive lesson. I understand that this ski is water-cooled from the lake water. If it is not moving fast then water is not coming in fast enough to cool it.
I thought about this when I was trying to pull up my brother in law. But my thought was this ski is not the same. It doesn't use water from the lake to cool. It is a closed cooling system. So it doesn't really matter how fast you are moving through the water. Maybe im wrong though.
I hope this all makes sense. I'm hoping maybe I just burnt up the supercharger? Maybe I should just get that unit rebuilt.
What are your thoughts?
Thank you.Dan
1/4/2019
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

(PLEASE READ CAREFULLY)
Hello Dan,
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you with your concern today. The phone call offer is not sent by me, it is auto sent by the website, as well it is optional, you can simply ignore it. I am not generally available via phone.

First the issue with cooling, you are half correct, however the exhaust is still raw water cooled and requires flow.

Next based on what you have stated it sounds like the pump is sucking air, or you have slight wear to the impeller/wear ring, this is why it revs fine but doesn't have much speed until it can "grab the water" so to speak. In the pump area you will see the impeller and around it is the wear ring, check for scaring, gouges, anything but smooth surface including a gap between impeller and wear ring wall, you should not really be able to see a gap between them. And check the impeller for damage as well to the blades. See here : https://www.seadooforum.com/images/imported/2012/02/86.jpg

Next, the impeller is splined to fit the driveshaft, its not uncommon to strip inside the impeller or to twist and or twist off the threads of the driveshaft and this can happen on either end of it.

So what does all this mean? Pretty much pull the nozzle on the pump and check the wear ring and impeller, if good then pull your pump and housing off and pull your driveshaft to check both ends of it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Thanks for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!

Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Hi Joe. Thank you for the insight. I have replaced a couple of wear rings before. So I agree you are probably right about that possibly needing to be replaced. I've rebuilt three jet ski engines, so I am aware. But all three were two strokes. This Sea Doo is my first 4 stroke. I will pull the pump out best weekend and see what's going on. What are your thoughts about the supercharger? I heard that these units need to be replaced every couple of years. I've owned the ski for about 4 years now.
As for overheating, I'm hoping everything is fine. I believe there is some sort of overheating dummy lught on the instrument cluster. And I do not recall any light coming on at that time.
Thank you again for the help.
Sorry again for the delay on response. We've had some family things going on.

If the supercharger bearings were issue you would hear them, if supercharger was damaged not providing power you would notice lack of power, instead it seems like your issue is lack of grabbing which would be cavitation which is shown by high rpms but it not going anywhere. Don't overlook the shaft as well even if you find impeller/wear ring issues.

Supercharger rebuild spec is every 100 hours. https://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18_63

You're very welcome.

Thanks,

Joe

Thank you again Joe.
I can't remember how many hours there are. But I'm thinking that I am over the 100 mark.
As for the issues I'm having, I think they are two fold. There is the cavitation issue. And then i also noticed that there is a "shuttering" sound when i am at WOT. So that's what lead me to the thoughts of the supercharger being damaged. So I'm thinking that I may go ahead and rebuild it. Looks relatively easy to swap it out.
I also plan on doing an oil change as I have never done one on this ski. One reason I like my 2-strokes. Lol.Dan

Afternoon Dan, honestly, cavitation issues can cause that feeling as well, so I would start with that problem first. If due by hours then rebuild supercharger as well.

Oil change is still pretty easy on them, you just suck the oil out.