Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1999 sea ray 340 sundancer with v drives 7.4 liter…

I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 sea ray 340 sundancer with v drives 7.4 liter the steering wheel is almost impossible to steer you have to man handle it with extreme pressure I know it doesn't have power steering but this cant be normal I just purchased it yesterday

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Just looking for solution ok

6/30/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Have you done any kind of troubleshooting on your own yet regarding the steering system or are we your first stop?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
nothing yet im going back out there today and trying to have an idea of what to look for if its something simple

The problem is going to be 1 of 2 things. Either a bad steering cable. Jammed up rudders. Or both. Click this link, this is the steering system on this boat. - https://imgur.com/a/zlBTIPc Where you start is by disconnecting the steering cable from the rudders. Then simply turn the rudders by hand and try and turn the wheel when the cable disconnected. If the rudders are tight, those will need to be removed and the stuffing boxes cleaned out. If the rudders are free then the boat will need a new rack and pinion style steering cable installed into it. Does that all make sense to you. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
where are the rubbers are they easy to see when I open the hatches ? and can I just grease them ? the rubbers I mean .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
where are the rubbers and the stuffer boxes

You mean the rudders, not rubbers. The rudders are in the very back of the boat. In the picture I gave you the rudder itself is #7 and the stuffing box is #6

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry busy at work miss spelled is this something I can do while in the water ?

Yes you can disconnect the steering cable from the rudders with the boat in the water, and then swing those rudders by hand and see how easily they move. If the rudders do end up being tight then it would need to come out of the water to actually fix that. But they can be checked while in the water.