Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1979 115 hp evinrude model#115993r and it will

I have a 1979...

I have a 1979 115 hp evinrude model#115993r and it will great at half speed but when i give it full speed it goes good for a ways and it trys to die. i checked the bubble pump and i have to pump it up again. as long as i just use half speed it runs fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

It runs ruff at idle

6/29/2018
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Have you done a spark and compression test?

If you squeeze the primer bulb real hard when the engine starts to loos power does it help?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if ipump it up it runs great at half speed but when i give it full speed it dies

What does it do if you continue to pump the bulb real hard? Do this when it starts to lose speed. This test will eliminate a fuel delivery issue.

Have you done a spark and compression test yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if i pump it up it runs fine my thought was it is one of 2 things fuel pump or sucking air at the plugins
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
spark and compression is fine

Then we have either a fuel restriction or the fuel pump is failing. The next test is to run the engine on a different fuel tank. Get an auxiliary fuel tank and run the boat. If it runs well then you have a fuel delivery issue with the boat side fuel system. If it runs the same then you have a bad fuel pump. The other possibility is like you said sucking air. Check all fuel line connections for hard fuel hose, broken clamps and if you have a quick disconnect eliminate that fitting by going directly to fuel pump.

If the boat side fuel system is the problem check the vent line replace any hose that is hard or cracked. If all of these are good the last thing is the pickup tube in the tank has a screen that is most likely clogging up with debris. Remove the screen and clean fuel tank.

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician