Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

It's, I'm sorry. Suzuki 2012 DF 250 with 370 hrs. Got the…

Customer Question
It's long, I'm sorry.Suzuki...

It's long, I'm sorry.Suzuki 2012 DF 250 with 370 hrs.Got the boat this winter and since I wasn’t 100% sure of its service history I had the 500hr maintenance done even though it only had 320 hrs.After the fifth or sixth outing with the boat I realized that I wasn’t getting information from the motor to my Simrad dash so I replaced the Suzuki engine interface cable yesterday.
The Simrad recognized the motor but wasn’t getting all of the information such as PSI, temp, rpm etc.
The party I was with was antsy so I figured I would just configure the cable/simrad at anchor while we fished.The motor started perfectly with no alarms or anything, we had a five minute ride out of the no wake zone and as I was moving the throttle forward to get on plane the motor wouldn’t go over 3000 RPM (not exactly sure about the Rpm number because I was a bit panicked).
I backed off, shut everything down and removed the engine interface cable; started it up again and everything was fine.Deciding to configure the cable/Simrad at the dock we spent the next four hours running to different spots and throwing anchor, each time shutting the motor off.Our last stop was for about an hour and a half, I started the motor and pushed the throttle forward to get up on plane and then it just shut itself off.When I went to start the boat it would crank but not fire up.
No alarms, no buzzing no water in the fuel, the water monitor was spraying all day and the motor couldn’t have been overheated because it was off for the previous hour and a half.I tried cranking it for about 30 seconds at a time before I gave up and called Sea Tow.We sat at anchor for about 30 minutes and I gave it one last try, it fired up and it ran perfectly for the hour ride home.I’ve taken the boat out at least 10 times since purchase and it has performed perfectly except for yesterday.My question:
Would the engine interface cable be able to mess up the motor electrical/mechanical system?Thanks for reading.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Thats the whole story so far..

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 4 days by:
7/3/2018
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 1 month ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your boat question. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced,
I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. Did you still need some help with this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got the data flowing from motor to simrad and the boat hasn’t acted up again. I guess everything is ok.

Great, sorry for the wait.