Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

40 HP MD 2004 ,won't idle but runs full title. Starts on…

40 HP MD 2004...

40 HP MD 2004 ,won't idle but runs full title

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Starts on full idle,b back off and it dies half way ,does idle down to shift into gear ,just dies , battery also needs to be fully at all it's cracking amps to start at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Starts in gear ,but I can find. That

6/28/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Is this a Tohatsu engine?

Is it the 2 or 4 stroke?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Outboard 40 HP MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2 stroke
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not near out boat at this time 300 miles apart

Is it made by Tohatsu? I need this info so I can get the correct diagrams.

Thanks, ***** ***** up now

The issue could be connected to the weak battery. This system needs good voltage for it to function. You will also need to test the fuel and air pressures that are going to the fuel rail on it. There cold also be a leak in the pulse pump that is flooding the engine at low RPM but it is ale to burn of this extra fuel at higher RPM.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All good ,and all of same thoughts battery not as sure because I had it jumped from truck and still shut off ,

I would look to the fuel and air systems on the engine.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic