Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have 73 859 murcury outboard put water pump in it seams to…

Customer Question
I have 73 859...

I have 73 859 murcury outboard put water pump in it seams to go inreverse on boat with water hose every thing seam ok but put in river and want go backwards

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Reverse want work in the river it seam towork on water hose after I replaced water pump check it the way repair book said and every thing worked . is they a way for the reverse lock goes in it could not find a detail picture the way it goes

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

I dont think so right now

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Boat
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
6/28/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

When you spin the prop in neutral, is it making any clicking noise, or does it feel sold there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it fells total free bothways

Ok, with the engine off and you go to shift it, will it get both gears? You may need to turn the prop to get the clutch aligned.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you can put pressure onth prop and it only move a quarter turn with moter runing you can shift in forward ingo in back to nutral propdoesent turn put in reverse prop turns it wheni put in watre it dont back up i have the foot off now .book said sometning about a reverse lock top part camout I thought it went with the two prongs up flat part down

the reverse will not have an effect on the shifting, it is only there to hold the engine down when in reverse.

So when you shift to Fwd, it will not go into gear, but in the water you have no thrust in rev. Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is correct

Ok, look at the shoft control on the engine with it in neutral, then go and shift the lever to Fwd. See if the control arm on the engine moves.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
in the water ford work fine no problem ran it twice come to nutran fine just when you put in reverse nothing happens shift leaver moves to reverse

Check the linkage on the engine to see if it is moving in both the fwd and rev directions when the lever is moved.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn't check while I was runing in the river butt with a water hose at the house the prop would go in foward you can hear it engage come back to nutral prop don't turn pull back to reverse prop turn just like it should . with moter off in reverse prop only turns 1/4 turn will notslip with a small amount of presure just wondering if it goes for enough in reverse

It could be a linkage or cable adjustment that is needed. That is why I am saying to check the linkage on the engine. If the cable needs to be adjusted, make it longer by turning the barrel that is on the threaded rod. Only do so about 2 turns then recheck to see that you get reverse and still have FWD.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that what I was thinking but I made it go as far in reverse with the cables several times taken foot off try to move top shift rod another notch but can't seem to get it to go another tooth or notch on foot. it seem to go back tosame spot is there a way to move the two spline a notch foward to make it stay in reverse no way to hold it and replace foot
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have got to get off the computer untill tomorrow receive answer on phone

Cant move it on the gear case, that is why you adjust the shift cable on the top. This will turn the shift shaft slightly and allow the extra movement.