Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Dom, I have a Bayliner 185 with a Mercruiser 130 (GM

I have a Bayliner...

I have a Bayliner 185 with a Mercruiser 130 (GM engine).Unexpectedly, we took on a lot of water, up to the floor level.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

I wasthinking maybewater pumpseal,butthat seams to be okay.

Mechanic's Assistant: What else should I tell the Marine Mechanic?

After we bailedit out, we moved at 6KPH to the boat ramp (about 2 miles). It didn't take on water at that speed.

6/27/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Was this freshwater or saltwater that came into the boat? Did you forget to put the drain plug in? How long have you owned this boat for, and when was the last time the bellows were changed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Salt water, river of Chesapeake Bay.
It was river water. There is no other source for water.
The boat is 2004 model. I bought it in 2007. The bellowshas never been replaced.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'd rather type.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jason, are you still here?

I'm still here. I was on the phone with another customer. Sorry about the delay. What kinds of questions did you have for me, are you asking where the water is coming from?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What I am asking is..... What would typically cause a boat to take on water under stress, but not at 6 KPH? (The boat had a full load of 7 people about 1050 pounds).

It's almost certainly torn bellows. The bellows are the rubber boots in the sterndrive. These bellows are the water seals to keep water out of the sterndrives input shaft area as well as the shift cable. If either of these bellows tears, the water will leak in through the transom of the boat. The bellows are a wear and tear item, they are rubber and they will split and tear just from the passage of time, even if the boat is not used all that often. Mercruiser specifies that the bellows get changed every 5 years. Once you got beyond that 5 years, you are basically living on borrowed time and it is only a question of when the bellows will split open. If the boat is a 2004, the bellows should have been change in 2009, then again in 2014, then again next year in 2019. So you are way past due, past due by 9 years for a bellows change. When the boat is not moving, these bellows are completely underwater. When you get a little bit of speed going, the bellows will start to rise up out of the water, stopping the leak. Click this link for a video, this is a roughly 20 minute video that covers what the bellows are and how they are changed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOnocSVTPUs Does that all make sense to you. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic