Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Are 90's acceptable compression for a 2005 Yamaha 4 stroke…

Second opinion] Are 90's...

Second opinion] Are 90's acceptable compression for a 2005 Yamaha 4 stroke engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Looking at a boat with a 2005 Yamaha engine with approx. 400 hours

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

The engine compression is in the 90s for all four cylindars of a 2005 Yamaha 4 stroke engine, it that acceptable?

6/27/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Do you have a model number on this engine, or even just a horsepower?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
90 HP with approx. 400 hours

Got it. Are you positive that this is a 4 stroke and not a 2 stroke engine?

Got it. To answer your question directly, no, the compression numbers are no good. These are high compression engines. When the engine was new, it would have had compression readings of 200 to 220 PSI. As the engine wears and tears that number will come down. The lower limit is 124 PSI. Anything 124 PSI or lower Yamaha considers a fail, and the engine is either worn out or damaged. Click this link for a picture, this comes from the factory service manual - https://imgur.com/a/LS4AiV7 To be honest, if this engine actually runs, really what I would be the issue here is, is that the person doing the test use a cheap inaccurate gauge. I've seen harbor freight brand gauge and other cheap ones just like it be off by more than 50 to 60 PSI when compared to a high end compression gauge like a Snap On or OTC brand. Realistically speaking if this engine really did haver just 90 PSI it either wouldn't run or it would run terrible, and smoke like crazy. If it actually runs well, I would bet that the engine compression is actually much much higher than 90, and the real problem is a cheap gauge giving an innacurate reading. This engines compression should be double checked with a better compression gauge. Does that all make sense to you. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic