Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1996 Four Winns 190 Horizon. Recently while on the…

Customer Question
I have a 1996 Four...
I have a 1996 Four Winns 190 Horizon. Recently while on the water, the volt gauge, trim gauge, and digital depth finder reading were fluctuating erratically. I connected a volt meter to the battery while running and the reading was 15.10 volts, is that an acceptable reading or is the alternator over charging?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Boat
6/26/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Tony, my name is***** alternator is overcharging. At full engine speed, the alternators output should be between 14 to 14.9 volts, but never higher than 14.9. If the alternator is overcharging you either have a bad battery, with a shorted plate, or a bad alternator. In the shop what we do is we always substitute the battery first, and recheck the battery voltage. You can have a bad battery with a shorted plate, but that battery will also start the engine fine. So start with the battery first. If the charging output drops to something more reasonable (under 14.9) with a different battery then you have a bad battery. If it stays the same, you have a bad alternator. Does that make sense to you. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Hey Tony, it looks like you read my answer and left without selecting a rating for my service, responding back with a question for me, or just taking a minute to thank me for my personal time. Was there something else, or were you planning on checking out a few things and getting back with me at a later time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry for taking so long, I replace the alternator today with a new one and even replaced the battery since it was getting old. The volt reading at the battery is 15.16 volts. I check with two separate digital volt meters.

Hmmm.... Who makes the engine in this boat, and what is it's model or serial number so I can ID the engine itself?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Volvo 572BPLK, 5.7 liter, I think same as a Inc cobra. serial # T01296241.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think same as omc Cobra
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just to double check with you, is the voltage regulator built into the alternator on this model, I don’t see anything external mounted unless I am missing something??

Hmmm that's no good. Did you get a factory alternator from Volvo, or an aftermarket one from someplace? I do not have a service manual for this engine, can you send me a picture of the back of the alternator so I can see what the connections look like?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I appreciate you getting back to me so quick, I won't be back where my boat is stored until tomorrow. I purchased a brand new alternator from a local marina parts store not directly from Volvo. It appeared exactly the same.

I want to see what the back of it looks like, and if the terminals are labeled, and what color wires are on each terminal. When you get back out to it try and take as many pictures of the back of the alternator as possible (the more the better), send them off to me, and i'll have a look at them.

HI Tony. Good morning. Is there any voltage on the EXC terminal when the engine is running?