Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

The shoot thru-the-hull transducer on my Helix 5 worked fine…

Customer Question
The shoot thru-the-hull transducer...

The shoot thru-the-hull transducer on my Helix 5 worked fine initially, now it has stopped working.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Electronics Specialist can help you best.

I removed the transducer from the boat hull and when plugged into the unit it just made a crackling sound.When I pressed my puck between my thumb and fingers then it made a rhythmic clicking siund as if it was working properly. There seems to be an air gap between the puck housing and the epoxy in the puck. Can I sand through the plastic housing and remove the air gap and epoxy the puck back in place. Do you have any suggestions other than buying a new transducer since this one is very new?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Electronics Specialist should be aware of?

Did you receive my second message?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Boat
6/26/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Yes, you can grind off the epoxy from the transducer to get down to the plastic on it. Just be very careful not to go thru the plastic of the transducer. Once you get it cleaned off, make sure the place in the boat for it is also ground down some into the fiberglass. Then use some good 5 min epoxy to glue the transducer back into place. Place a large heavy object on it as the epoxy sets up to ensure that it stays hard against the hull.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have already removed the epoxy from the plastic puck and the plastic flexes and only works when I put pressure on the plastic.

That is the sign of a bad transducer. Something inside it has come loose. It is going to need to be replaced. If you did glue it back onto the boat, I feel that you would be taking it right back out as soon as you water tested it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Can you refund our refundable $5?

I am not personally able to do that. I only answer questions and have no access to customer accounts.