Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I replaced the high pressure fuel pump and fuel filter on my…

Jason, I replaced the high...
Jason, I replaced the high pressure fuel pump and fuel filter on my 2002 Suzuki DF140. Now i can get it to start. I didn’t use a Suzuki fuel pump, I used a Quantum brand pump that their website says is a perfect match:
https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-22329040-new-intank-efi-fuel-pump-suzuki-df140-2001-2014-replaces-15200-90j00.htmlIt didn’t look like the photo on their webpage. I’ve attached a pic of what they sent me to install. There was an empty screw hole on top of the new fuel filter with no screw in the box.Here’s a link to the video: https://youtu.be/he5IKoKFcvwI’m frustrated man.
What do you think?
6/22/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning. Jason here. When you turn the key to RUN, but not start, can you hear the high pressure pump turn on for 2 seconds each time you turn the key to run? Are you able to check and see if the pump is making fuel pressure?

I don’t know what that sounds like. Here’s another video link.
https://youtu.be/slVO6VwejHE
How do I check fuel pressure?

Take another video, and hold the video camera/phone right next to the intake manifold itself. Then turn the key from off to run, wait 3 or 4 seconds, then go back to off. Do that 3 or 4 times, and i'll listen to see if I can hear the pump kicking on. (You might need a helper if you can not hold the camera next to the intake and turn the key at the same time)

I’m not going back to the boat today. I have to work. Next time I go, I’ll do that.

Okay no problem. Let me know what you find out and we will go from there.

Ok

No, that won't hurt anything.

I see it. Looks pretty clean to me too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got down to the boat during lunch. I put the phone inside the side cover just for audio. Here’s a link.
https://youtu.be/AmqpXot3UTU

I watched the video. I can hear the pump running. It almost sounds like there is no gas in the VST. Did you re-prime the fuel system by squeezing the primer bulb until firm?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did pump it until it was firm.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I try to start it with the ear muffs and it still didn’t turn over. I pumped the bulb yesterday through
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if the pump is running, then I installed it properly?

Got it. It simply doesn't sound like its' pushing any fuel. You can test the fuel pressure if you like but you do need a special factory tool in order to do that. I am attaching the instructions to test for that. The other thing you want to check is the grommet inside of the VST. If that grommet is damaged or missing, the pump will not push fuel to the fuel rail. Click this link - https://imgur.com/a/9Dn2gKl Finally, the pump itself could just be defective. There is an impeller inside of the pump, that impeller is what pushes the fuel. If the impeller part of the pump was shot or disconnected from the motors shaft, the pump will spin but not create pressure. What you can do here to test that is get 2 large glass jars. In 1 jar fill it with water. Take the pump out of the VST, throw it in the jar full of water. Apply 12V to the pump, and see if the pump starts pushing water or not. If it does not, the impeller portion of the pump is defective. If it does push water just fine, then fill up that 2nd jar full of clean fuel, and rinse the water out of the fuel pump with the gas in the 2nd jar. See attachment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can see the link to the grommet image. Could you send it in another way?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can’t see the link*

Hmm, it shows fine for me. try this again - https://imgur.com/a/9Dn2gKl

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it. I did replace the old grommet with a new one

All you can do is either buy the tools to test the fuel pressure. Or, Pull the pump out and throw it in a bucket of water, and see if it pushes water or not.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I’d rather not take the pump out again, if I don’t have to

There really isn't any other choice. You either have to buy the special tools and a fuel pressure gauge and check fuel pressure. Or, pull the pump out and run it in a bucket of water.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. FYI. I drained the fuel rail before removing the VST.

That will not change anything.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m going to try to release the air from the fuel rail while pumping the bulb. Maybe that will get gas to the fuel pump.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll crack the nut at the top of
The fuel rail.

When you crank the engine over any air in the fuel rail simply gets pushed out the injectors when they open and close. So there really isn't a need to do that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
55357;���

👍👍

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I emailed the manufacturer of the pump and they told me the wires are reverse polarity for my DF140. On the OEM pump, the blue wire is positive and on the new pump the blue is negative. I took photos during my install and it’s true. Would I be able to cut and strip the wires then use butt connectors to switch them? If so, do I have to make sure they’re heat shrink connectors?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They said the pump is running in reverse now.

You do not want to cut and splice any wires inside of the VST itself, but you can safely do so outside of the VST.

Yes. What you can do is follow those 2 wires back some so you have some room. Then cut them and swap them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Should go ahead and heat shrink them? And what gauge butt connector should I buy?

I would use heat shrink and dielectric grease in the butt connectors. For size you should get the red ones (red colored butt connector)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok.

Please do not forget to select a 5 star rating on this question page as well. For each question session you start, at some point during that session you do have to select a rating in order for the system to credit me for helping you out. When no rating is done, I simply do not get the credit. Thanks for understanding!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I apply the dielectric grease to the butt connectors and where exactly does the grease need to go and where should it not go?

Just put a little bit of grease on your fingertip and push it into the end of each connector.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it ok to get the grease on the wires?

Yeah it won't hurt anything. the point is of the grease is corrosion prevention. It will help keep electrical connectors from corroding. Every time you touch any electrical connector on the engine, you should always apply just a dab on the connectors in order to keep the corrosion away.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Everything is working now! Couldn’t have done it without you. Thank you! God bless you Jason.