Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My Yamaha 50 4 stroke has no spark and also no power to the…

Customer Question
My Yamaha 50 4...

My Yamaha 50 4 stroke has no spark and also no power to the coils

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I've been fixing cars for 40 years but I can't diognois my dinghy engine now

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

No but it started

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Boat
6/21/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am speaking with? I read what you wrote. Can I start by getting the model number on the outboard as it reads on the ID tag?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm waiting the call.how long to wait??

I had asked for the model number, without that model number I don't know what you have. Do you have your model number handy or do you not have it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok how do I find out why there is no 12 volts to my coils? I want a scematic of the wiring to the coils. the key plug is ok and the key is on the start position and the engine cranks fine.
Can I put power to the coils from the battery without burning something out???
I checked all the fuses and the lock switch.

This is going to be the 3rd time that I cam going to ask you for your engine model number. Doe you have your engine model number, or do you not have it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
62y l418612t f50tlry made 09/99
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
62y L418612T F50TLRY

Okay got it. Let me ask you another question. If I do call you, what is it you are looking to do? Are you looking to just talk about the problem, and talk about how the ignition system works? or are you actually looking to troubleshoot the ignition system?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I WANT TO KNOW WHERE IS THE POWER COMING FROM TO THE IGNITION COILS???

The power to the coils comes from the CDI box. the power to the CDI box comes from the stator. Are you near your engine now? If you are, is the emergency stop switch clip in place?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ITS OK

Do you have a high quality voltmeter, such as a Snap On or Fluke brands? Do you also have what is called a DVA and/or a PEAK reading adaptor for said meter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I EVENED PUSHED IT ALL THE WAY INCASE IT IS WORN OUT.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a good test light
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
live call is a good idea

A test light will not work. You have to have a high quality volt meter as well as a DVA. If you do not have those tools, you can not troubleshoot the engine, with or without my help. This isn't going to be something you can fix with or without my help if you do not have the tools. you are going to have to bring this one in.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a volt meter and beed fixing car engines for 40 years

But do you have a DVA? Here is the kind of the deal. I can call you, and I can give you a college level education as far as how a CDI ignition system works, and how to troubleshoot this engine, but if you do not have the tools to do the troubleshooting then you can not fix this engine by yourself. What you would need is the following tools.

1. You need a Fluke 117 or equivalent. Click this link, this what I mean - https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-117-Electricians-True-Multimeter/dp/B078YWDYWR/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1529623549&sr=1-4&keywords=fluke+multimeter

2. Regardless of which meter you have, you need a DVA. Click this link, this is what a DVA is - https://store.snapon.com/Multimeter-Accessories-Adaptor-Direct-Voltage-P649400.aspx

A voltmeter will not read outboard votlages without a DVA. Do you have both of those tools?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no but the Yamaha dealer will help me diognois the problem tomorrow thank you for your help??

this is why I didn't call you, because I had a feeling you didn't have the right tools. you are very welcome. Good luck!