Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

2003 mercruiser. engine runs fine, good oil pressure, will…

2003 mercruiser. engine...

2003 mercruiser. engine runs fine, good oil pressure, will not go into forward or reverse. Can manually shift into gear pushing on the linkage on top of the engine. Is there a sensor that may be bad in the shift linkage?

6/20/2018
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

No sensor.

If you move the shifter does it move the linkage at the motor where the shift cables connect?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, it does not move forgot, the ignition buzzer stays on also like there is no oil pressure or the engine is running hot

Ok is the button on the shifter popping out? If the button is then you have a broken shift cable or the control is bad.

As for the alarm, how is the oil level in the gear lube monitor?

If it is good disconnect the tan/blue wire on temp, oil and gear lube monitor. If the alarm goes off then that is the bad sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you referring to the button that disengages the linkage so that the throttle only works? I do not remember. I am 125 miles from the boat right now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have had the boat for a short period of time and do not know about oil in the gear lube monitor

Correct. That button can jamb. To get the button unjammed disconnect shift cable from the bracket at engine then operate the control. If the cable moves now put control in neutral and install the shift cable adjust barrel on cable if you need so it fits in place.

The gear lube monitor is the clear bottle on top of the engine with the blue fluid.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This gives me things to check when I go back to the lake. Could there be a problem with the water pump in the outdrive or engine? or do you think it is in the linkage

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know there is some sort of electric sensors in the linkage on top of the engine. What are those sensors associated with. Got your last post. So there are no electric or sensor problems---but a linkage problem
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since I do not have any experience with this setup , you have given me the confidence to get into the system, thank you

The sensor on the shift bracket is for taking the engine out of gear. It will not affect the shift going into for or reverse. When that sensor fails it either kills the engine or you can't get the drive out of gear.

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks again

You're welcome.

Thank you...Tan