Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

MERCRUISER ALPHA 1 WILL NOT ACCEPT WATER TO THE WATER PUMP..

MERCRUISER ALPHA 1 WILL...

MERCRUISER ALPHA 1 WILL NOT ACCEPT WATER TO THE WATER PUMP.. SPRAYS BACK OUT OF THE MUFFS

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

My 4.3L 1990 alpha one drive will not accept water through the muffs. All of the water sprays out at the muffs like its not going anywhere

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

My temp gauge is also not working

6/20/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. How long have you owned this boat for, and when was the last time the impeller was changed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good morning Jason, this is Seth. I have only recently acquired this boat so I’m sure the impeller needs to be changed(currently starting to take the lower off now). But I just figured I should have some water coming out of the exhaust while running muffs even if the impeller is bad?

Hi Seth, no definitely not. If the impeller is shot you will get no water out of the exhaust. The water pump impellers are rubber, and because of that, one the rubber gets to be a few years old it simply gets stiff, takes a memory and looses it's ability to push water. Impellers have vanes on them, and those vanes need to be flexible to push water. Mercury specifies that the impeller gets serviced every other year, regardless of engine hours. In most shops, it is standard operating procedure to change the thermostat as well. Click this link for a video, it will help explain what is going on. In this video, the pump shown is not your exact pump, but, the impeller that is shown in this video is the same style as the one that is in your pump. When you watch this video, pay attention to how flexible the impeller vanes are, and how they compress and then expand again with ease. When impellers get old, they do not compression and expand easily, they more or less stay in a semi-compressed state - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECv1VwW6RTo&t=0m59s To add to this. If the engine was ever started out of the water with no garden hose hooked up to it, the impeller will literally burn up, and all of the vanes will melt right off the impeller. Does that all make sense to you. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.
Thank you
Jason

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Jason, would the thermostat keep the temp gauge from working? Shouldn’t I have a separate temp sensor for that?

The temp gauge will not show anything until the engine heats up. Where you running this engine long enough to get hot?

Are you still here Seth?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the day I bought it I took it to the river to see what I was working with (yes bad I know I’m still a rookie). I maybe drove it at 3000 rpms if that. And I had it back out of the water within 35min. The temp gauge didn’t rise
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m only assuming it’s overheating due to no change in the water muffs when I crank the engine

Got it. The thermostat will not effect the gauge. If the gauge is not working you have either a bad gauge or a bad temperature sending unit. Where you would start is by pulling the gauge out. Then testing for ground on the black wire, testing for power on the purple wire (when the key is turned to RUN) If you have power and ground, the next step is to take a paperclip and jump the S terminal over to the G terminal. If the gauge is any good, this will cause the needle to jump to hot. If it doesn't do just that, the gauge is bad. If it does do that, the sending unit is bad.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks, I’ll let you know when I get all of this done.

You are very welcome!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Replaced the impeller today... no luck still not sucking any water, haven’t replaced the thermostat yet but the impeller was messed up.

If your engine has a power steering oil cooler on it, and if the old impeller was missing part, a lot of times the cooler will be plugged up. If it still gives you trouble drop the lower unit again and hold a garden hose against the water tube in the upper, disconnect the water hose at the thermostat housing, and make sure you can push water through the system.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I just got done getting the lower back off. Gonna get some penetrating oil for the thermostat bolts one is stuck.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just pulled my thermostat housing, complete rusty mess beneath it

That's no good, but at least you found something.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this something that can be cleaned out or am I screwed?

How bad is it? Can you send me some pictures?

I see it. This is pretty much what happens when the engines never get flushed. It's the not worse one I've ever seen, but not the best either. Whey they get real bad the bottom of that intake manifold will rot out, and start leaking water into the oil, so definitely check your oil and make sure it is not milky. Other than that, just get a new thermostat, put it back together, and see what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s good to hear, I’ll let you know later when it’s all back together

Sounds good. Let me know how you make out.

No, that's not a retainer, that is just the thermostat. Normally, it will just pull out with your fingers. On yours, It's basically rusted into place. Just get some needle nose pliers and rip it out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Replaced thermostat, fired it up. It started to spray a tiny amount of water out the exhaust then stopped.. looked inside, seems to be leaking under the engine into the Bilge area somewhere. I know water is making it to the thermostat I tested that
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Starboard side
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a drain plug down there? Bc it looks to be coming from a bolt

There are, there are brass drain plugs on both sides of the engine block, about half way down, just above the oil pan.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, is this something common to go out? It seems too simple for my luck

They don't really "go out", it's a brass plug in a cast iron block. You would want to pull the plug out and see if the plug or block is rotten.

Is that one of the bolts for the motor mount?

That's not good news at all. There should never be water there. There is a decent chance that this engine block is beginning to show the beginning stages of being rotted out. You can try removing the bolt, throwing some sort of sealer on there, and putting it back in place, and see what happens. But you might want to start planning on looking for a different block.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What type of sealer should I look for before throwing this block out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, it’s only cold water coming from that bolt

I would try some Permatex aviation sealer. You can get that at NAPA. Just pull the boat out, knock off any rust that might be on the threads with a wire wheel brush. If you can run a tap on the hole that would be best. Otherwise, just coat the bolt with the aviation sealer and put it back in.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well in better news... it’s just a freeze plug. Bad news.. it’s the hardest one to get to, behind engine mount on starboard side

That's no good. :(