Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I got a 14 ft northland boat that has a 28 hp rude 2 cycle…

I got a 14...

I got a 14 ft northland boat that has a 28 hp Evan rude 2 cycle motor on...I want to replace it with my 3 yr old 4 cycle mercury 15 hp tiller motor how do I do it...

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Not that I know ..I just like the merc 4 cycle better but don’t know if I can use the existing throddle. And shift assem. And steering assem.

6/20/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I apologize for the delay, your question ended up in the wrong category and was not sent to me until now. Did you still need help with this or did you get it figured out?

I still need help

Sure thing. Basically you can use the same steering system, that will be fine. But you would need a new shifter, new throttle and shift cables, and a new wiring harness to run from the outboard to the console. None of the Evinrude stuff is going to be compatible with the Mercury (and vice versa) I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic