Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

1991 25hp. Keeps pumping fuel out carb vent even after kit…

1991 Johnson 25hp. Keeps...

1991 Johnson 25hp. Keeps pumping fuel out carb vent even after kit was installed. Fuel pump mm is new.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Motor bogged last time out at open throttle, so cleaned carb and kitted that , replaced fuel pump lines are all clean. It by had sat for over a year, fresh gas. Now it pumps fuel out carb vent when cranking over , floods. Float needle seems to be working.

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/19/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am speaking with? I read what you wrote. Did you replace the needle valve when you did the carb?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Everything is new

How did you set the float height on the carb?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
measured from the body down to top of float (3/4in) that's what kit diagram shows .

Hmmm. My books say to hold the carb upside down and level, and then set the float so that it is completely parallel to the body of the carb. Can you re-set it like that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
done that.

If you pump just the primer bulb, but to not start the engine up, is fuel coming out of the carb when you pump the bulb, or does the bulb itself firm up? Also, do you have the full model number on the outboard?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it does , comes out the vent also. Model#J25TELEI

If it's coming out of the vent there is no other explanation other than either the float is not the correct height, the needle valve is not installed correctly, or the float itself is split and getting fuel in it. Or the needle valve is the wrong one for the carb. This works just like the back of a toilet does. The carb has a needle valve and float inside of it. When the fuel level inside of the bowl rises, the fuel pushes on the float, lifting it up. The float pushes up on the needle valve. The needle valve closes and prevents new fuel from coming in. Carb kits do not come with floats, did you order a new float or reuse the old one? Have you tried getting another needle valve from the dealer yet, as there is always a chance you got a defective needle valve.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
float is new, used a kit with new float. Yeah I guess I can try a different needle valve.

It has to be one of those 4 things. Either bad float, bad needle valve, needle valve no installed correctly. Or the needle valve simply isn't the right one for that carb. There isn't anything else that it could possibly be. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, thank you

You are very welcome. Thanks again and good luck! -Jason