Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Yamaha 250 with 25hrs overheating. water pump looks new.

Yamaha 250 with 25hrs...

Yamaha 250 with 25hrs overheating. water pump looks new. Could it be the thermostat?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Boat overheated. no water from pee hole ...after it overheats i do get steam from the pee jole

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Dropped lower unit and water pump looks fine

6/19/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. How long have you under this outboard for, and when was the last time the water pump was changed? Aside from how it looks, are the impellers vanes flexible, or are they stiff?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
have had the boat since last july. motor is new. 25hrs. water pump looks new. still has the tabs on the end of the fins

When you say new, what year is the engine, do you have a model number on it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ya know im wondeering if maybe the woodruf key broke?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the motor is 2012 - yamahe 4 stroke
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not right now have the model #
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
250hp
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is there some sort of upper water pump on this engine
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
overheated 10min after unloading
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
first time out this year
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are we still connected?

Yes I am still here. I am typing you up a long answer and getting you a video.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry Chris here....ok...ty

Its' not common for the key to break, not on these. However, Yamaha does specify that the impeller gets changed every other year, regardless of engine hours. If the motor is a 2012. It was due for an impeller in 2014, then again in 2016, then again in 2018. The impeller is 4 years overdue for replacement. And It should have been replaced at least twice by now. The issue here is the vanes on the impeller get stiff, take on a memory, and it looses it's ability to push water. this is all from the passage of time, it has nothing to do with engine hours. The problem is ultimately going to be the impeller. Impellers have vanes on them, and those vanes need to be flexible to push water. It is standard operating procedure to change the thermostat as well every times the impellers are changed, so that should be done as well. Click this link for a video, it will help explain what is going on. In this video, the pump shown is not your exact pump, but, the impeller that is shown in this video is the same style as the one that is in your pump. When you watch this video, pay attention to how flexible the impeller vanes are, and how they compress and then expand again with ease. When impellers get old, they do not compression and expand easily, they more or less stay in a semi-compressed state. If you were to compare your impeller to the one in this video, yours would clearly not be as flexible as the one in the video. Here is the video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECv1VwW6RTo&t=0m59s I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.
Thank you
Jason

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
where do a respond with your 5star rating?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks again....so if i change the impeller and thermostats thats really all it can be?

I'm sorry I do not understand what you mean. Did you read my above answer, and watch the video that I sent you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did... thanks again. I was just asking, as far as the cooling system goes.....changing the thermostats and impeller should do the trick? Is there anything else in the loop i should check as well? Read something about a poppet valve
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess I will be getting an email to submit a rating?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry man....scatter brained....boats got me stressing out...

Changing the thermostat and impeller is where you start. 99% of the time that will take care of it. The only times it doesn't take care of it is if the engine has a blown head gasket or is packed and clogged with sand. But you always start with that impeller and thermostat, and then only take it deeper if need be. Again, 99% of the time there is no need to go deeper. There is no poppet valve on this engine. The ratings box is located at the top of your screen. You might have to scroll up to see it. To rate, you must select the number of starts and also confirm that selection. Was there anything else?

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will do...thanks

You are very welcome. Thanks again and good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Plan never to run out of water again

Yep, that will definitely do it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks again Jason.. I actually just got another entire kit o. The mail that seems like better quality and I did forget to install the o ring between the pump metal race and the plastic housing.. think it’s a big deal? Tempted to just do it again..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rated you top stars of course

Yes if that Oring is missing. or if any of the orings are missing or damaged, the pump will end up sucking air in and it will not push water up to the engine. The Orings are critical on these water pumps so make sure you are not missing any or damaging them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks man - out no more questions for today— your awesome
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh wait—- is it possible because of running on water ears.. to have flow but not enough pressure to open thermostats?

The thermostats open up by temperature, not pressure. The thermostats on these engines open at 143F. But when you run on the garden hose, it will take the engine a long time to actually reach that temperature.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

You are very welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I rested 5 stars and left a comment
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you onboard today?

Good morning. What's up?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well boat runs great good water pressure, but when idling at the dock the overtemp alarm came on. Gauge didn't seem to be off scale high...I guess I might have an obstruction still around thermostats. I was going to change them this week or pull them out to see what happens. I just wanted to ask what you thought. At 5000 rpm all temps are normal...Thought for sure it was fixed till we were docking and idled for a while after returning to the pier. We wake boarded all afternoon with no issues. Any thoughts?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
seems like searching the web, I am not the only one with this issue that the culprit is left un diagnosed. Sucks because this boat and motor is too new to have problems.

Do you have the model number on the outboard? Did you check and see if the engine was actually running hot by taking the engines temperature with an IR temp gun?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did not but I do have one..f250xa and below that it has an x and(###) ###-####

Got it. You do want to replace the thermostats as well as remove and clean out the water pressure control valve. Click this link for a diagram - https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha/outboard-by-hp/250hp/lf250xa-0113/upper-casing In the diagram #8 is that control valve. When they stick open what happens is the engine will not have enough water pressure inside of it to cool the engine down.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Saw the diagram thanks! Where about is this on the engine? Also it seems they have thermostats to order but it’s pretty much the same one for all models.. is that right?

The valve is at the rear of the engine, down on the bottom, between the cylinder heads. On the thermostats, click this link, they are #20 = https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha/outboard-by-hp/250hp/lf250xa-0113/cylinder-crankcase-1

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jason, I figured it out so you know for reference

Glad to hear you found it. What did you end up finding?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The housing didn’t come with a seal collar... it fits inside the housing and has two tabs that in.. runs brand new

Click this link for a diagram, are you talking about numbers 21 or 22? - https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha/outboard-by-hp/250hp/lf250xa-0113/lower-casing-drive-3

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
24 and 23... original housing did not have that

Yeah I've run into that a few times. If those parts are missing the water simply leaks out of the top of the pump housing instead of getting pushed up the water tube.