Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 115 Mercury outboard 2014 4 stroke. Got it tuned…

I have a 115...

I have a 115 Mercury outboard 2014 4 stroke. Got it tuned last fall, ran fine until last weekend. Idles fine, but when I provide gas to take off it bogs down, no matter how much gas I give it, it will not provide enough power to get on plane.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

No, It's that simple, and that complicated.

6/19/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Do you ever get the boat up on plane? If so, will it still run to full RPM?

Never got it up on plane

Will it reach about 2500 RPM and is there any alarms?

It bogs when any power is attempted all the way up to full thtottle.

Do you have a multimeter?

Are you going to provide any information, or is this site just a hoax, money scam?

I have asked several questions about your symptoms and have yet to receive an answer from you on my questions.

I do not have a multimeter, not sure what it is?

It is a tool for testing voltage and resistance on parts of the engine.

What we can do is to disconnect the shift switch on the engine and see if it will run better and get on plane. The switch is part 16 in the diagram.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/mercury/outboard-by-hp/115hp/1b366823-thru-2b094995-usa-cat-90-898101362-efi/oil-pump

What does a switch shift do? It seems more like it is not getting enough fuel or air and thus bogging down.

The switch will cut the timing to the engine if it thinks that it is still in neutral. This will not allow the engine go accelerate.

Unfortunately I did not have a chance to run out to the boat house to work on it, hopefully this weekend.

No worries. There are no time limits here.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Charles, first thanks for your patience. I met a mech. out at my boat today and I let him go through his procedures to see if he could get it to run properly. He didn't have any computers or tech items to test the motor with, just the old fashion method, and he couldn't get it to run properly with what he had. Before he left I asked him if he could point out the switch that you provided that might make a difference! He found it disconnected it and we started it up again without it being plugged in. The motor ran well when I gave it the throttle, but it idled rough, and the mech. didn't know what to think, but again he was old school. He left and I took it out for a spin to see what would happen on the water. It idled out rough, when I gave it gas it preformed at about 40-50% of what it normally does when running well. It did get up on plane but I had to give it much more gas (throttle all the way down- maximum power) than I normally do. I can pop it out of the water easily at 5000rpm.
So at least I can use it to get to my closest fishing holes but I will need to take it in to get tech diagnostics done, unless you have further ideas. I am going in to provide you with an excellent rating as soon as I am through with this note. Thank you again, I appreciate your quality diagnosis, and info about this switch.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also how can I provide your info to FaceBook to help you out? I am definitely not savvy with Facebook and promoting someone, but I am also 65 yrs young. But I would like to try to help you, I think others like me could use your expertise, and I believe you have good knowledge and patience which are two great attributes in todays tech world! Thanks again Charles, I appreciate ya!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also forgot to provide this, he changed out the hand pump bulb and a hose that went into the filter. The hose had a plastic liner that was messed up. The hand pump bulb didn't seem to be bad but maybe he felt it was, the hose looked like it could have been the problem, but after the change out > nothing changed. Thanks Hap

Thank you for the update and the rating. Are you where you can get the serial number for the engine?

To help promote me and the site, telling people that it is not a scam, even though the computer servers will send offers for phone calls. If you tell them that if they have a Mercury outboard, most electronics and trolling motors, Im your guy. All they need to do is place my name in the question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, it is about 12 miles away, but I will be out there Sat. Where would I find the number?

What I need for you to look at, is to remove the engine hood, see if the black fuel system module is there. Locate hose 7 that comes from it, it connects to the intake behind the air filter. undo this hose from the intake side and then try to blow air thru it, let me know if you can or not.

If the FSM is not there, you have a different fuel system that is newer.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/mercury/outboard-by-hp/115hp/1b366823-thru-2b094995-usa-cat-90-898101362-efi/fuel-supply-module-hoses

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will give it heck on Sat, thank you Charles.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here are some pics of the engine
20180702_140333.jpg2018070...jpg20180702_140730.jpg2018070...jpg20180702_140801.jpg2018070...jpg20180702_140858.jpg2018070...jpg20180702_140912.jpg2018070...jpg

thanks,

Were you able to do that one test I wrote with removing a hose and blowing into it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn't catch that note, which hose?

Locate hose 7 where it attaches just behind the air filter, remove it there. then try to blow air onto it. I need to know if you can move air or not.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HI Charles,
Okay I got the #7 hose I belI've off and tried to blow through it, and it allowed just a small amount of air through it.

Ok. You will need to remove the FSM from the engine and then open it up to inspect the hose and make sure that it is not totally coming apart. Since you can move air, I would get the hose to replace it since the FSM will be opened.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is a FSM
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds like I need to take it to a marine repair location.

The FSM is that black box mounted on the front of the engine. It is held on by 3 bolts. To remove it, you would need to undo a few wire connections and then the bolts. There are a ring of 7mm bolts that hold the top plate on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The Marina told me my spark plugs were fouled, so the guy the did my previous tune up charged me for spark plugs but didn't replace them, oh well.
Thanks for your help.

Fouled plugs are a result of the hose inside he FSM being broken also.