Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2000 Mariah 182 Shabah and have been told that the…

I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 Mariah 182 Shabah and have been told that the transom is rotton.. After some research I have been told that this boat has a fiberglass hull, which shouldn't rot. Not sure what to think or if I'm being scammed

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Just that there are some cracks below the outdrive about 12" long, 2 of them. The boat was taken in for steering gimble repair and I've been told the bellows need replacing also.

6/18/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. The boats construction method is a combination of wood and fiberglass. The wood makes up the core of the transom, and there are inner and outer fiberglass layers that go over that wooden core. Click this link for a picture, this is what a transom cross section would look like - https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/lakeexpo.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/9a/39a71f0e-9eb7-11e0-871c-001cc4c002e0/4e05198475322.image.jpg Did you have any further questions on the issue or was that your primary concern?

Is there a way of testing this without removing the drive unit
typing is fine

I'm not sure what you mean, do you mean testing to see if there really is rot in the transom?

any ideas?

Yes, give me a few to explain.

The actual process is actually pretty simple. If you hire a processional boat inspector, who are called a surveyor. What they do is what is called percussive testing, or percussive sounding. Percussive testing is actually very very basic when you think about it. All percussive testing is, is tapping the hull with a urethane hammer, and listening for the echo. The hull will either sound solid, or the hull will sound hollow. If it sounds hollow, there is a problem. If you have a hard tipped urethane hammer (which you can buy at any hardware store for under 20 dollars) you can more or less do this yourself. You would simply tap the transom of the boat all over, and see if the echo sounds solid, sounds uniform, or see if it sounds hollow. Click this link, this will explain more about it - http://themarinesurveyors.com/why-we-tap-your-hull/ This is definitely something you can double check yourself if you want to, or, just go to the dealer and have them tap the transom for you, and you will definitely hear the difference between a solid transom and a rotted transom. Does that all make sense to you. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
ok thanks

You are very welcome please to not forget to select a 5 star rating for my service. Thanks again and good luck! -Jason.