Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

2004 Yamaha F200 outboard. Issue presents as follows. Engine…

Customer Question
2004 Yamaha F200 outboard. Issue...
2004 Yamaha F200 outboard. Issue presents as follows. Engine cranks & idles fine. When attempting to put the boat on plane, it has no holeshot at all. It will eventually climb up after 150-200 yards of travel and then will develop 5900 rpms and seems to run fine at WOT and at any higher rpms. What could cause this?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Boat
6/18/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What kind/type/size boat is this outboard mounted to? Is there any kind of story or history to this engine, have you ever personally seen it run any differently or better?

It looks like you read my initial response and never replied back. If you are trying to reply, make sure you are typing into the Justanswer chat system. If you are using text or email, I will not receive your responses.

Ken...20 ft flats/cc Skeeter...Not personally,but it has run fine in the past according to its owner. This is something recent. I know it has had the VST tank and high pressure filter cleaned, and the injectors cleaned and checked to see that they do fire with current to them (bench tested with a 9v battery). Just don't get why it has trouble on the low end but runs great on the high end. Does not make sense.

Hi Ken. Has the boats bottom been checked for growth, as well as the boats hull been inspected for water? What kind of shape is the propeller itself in? Is it near perfect, or does it have some dents and dings in it?

It is a trailered boat-bottom is clean and it has no significant amount of water in it. Prop is nearly brand new and in good condition.

I guess we can start by seeing if it has the right prop on it. Do you know the size of the prop that is on there now?

I don't know what size it is, but it is the same one he has run for years with no issues. This has just happened recently. It also stands to reason that it is within normal limits since it runs the boat fine at wide open throttle and achieves 5900-6000 rpms

Well, I have no ideas then. I will opt out and leave your question open to the community.