Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Have a 2012 Mercury Optimax 125 two stroke with an oil tank…

Have a 2012 Mercury...

Have a 2012 Mercury Optimax 125 two stroke with an oil tank reservoir for mixing the fuel. There is an alarm that will come on if the oil is low and the boat will be restricted to only 1k rpms . This alarm is coming on even though the tank is full and the engine cannot get over 1k rpms

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

No mam

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Is this alarm a beeping tone?

it is non-stop

There are 2 types of alarms on the engine, one is a beep, pause, beep, pause.....

And the other is a solid tone.

Which are you getting?

Beep Pause Beep at first and then a constant beep

Ok, it seems that you are having 2 alarms going off at once.

For the beeping one, will it sound with just the key on and the engine off?

On the solid one, have you checked the battery voltage when it happens? When was the last time the cooling system was serviced?

Have never had the cooling system serviced. I just had the lower unit serviced last week
Not sure about whether it sounds with the key on and the engine off
We did check and notice that the water stream for cooling is still coming out of the side as before.

Ok, the cooling water is not the same as the water that is going thru the block, it gets diverted and then passes thru the air compressor and then out.

to tell which is setting the 4 beep alarm, I need to know about the key on test.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
I will have to get back to you as I am not at the boat.

Ok, just reply when you can. It will come straight to me and we can go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Charles. I went to my boat this morning and it did not sound a continuous alarm when not cranked. Once cranked it began to sound an alarm and would not go over 1k rpms just like it did on Sunday. In the past, when the oil tank was low, it beeped the pause beep pause and when the boat was turned off it would not crank again until the oil reservoir was re-filled.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I turned the key into the on position and it did not sound any alarm. Alarm came on after cranking

Ok, with a multimeter check the voltage on the engine when it is at idle and at fast idle. Test it at the battery and at the positive post of the starer solenoid. Make sure that it is not below 11 or over 15.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It will not go over 1k rpms

Is that in gear or in neutral?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Neutral

That is designed. You will need to shift into gear to get the engine to rev faster.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I pushed it into gear and it would not go over 1k rpms

Ok, test the voltage and see what you are getting.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not have a volt meter tester but the meter on the boat is in the normal range between 12-14 volts

Cant trust that meter, it is using the boats wiring for the reading.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think it is a bad oil pump or the oil sensor?

A bad oil pump will sound the solid horn as well. We can test it, but it will out the engine back onto break in mode.

The oil sensor will only sound a beeping alarm.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok obviously I am going to have to get a mechanic to get on this. I am just trying to get my head wrapped around what it could be.

Did you want to test it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am no longer at the boat.

Ok, if you want to do it.

Turn the key on, then with in the first 10 seconds, shift the engine into and out of FWD 3 to 5 times. you will then hear the oil pump start clicking. IT will do so about 500 times. The oil level in the tank should also drop some. This does reset the break-in on the engine so you will need to run it above 3500 RPM for 2 hrs to get it out of break in and its double oil.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks

No prob. Let me know if you need anything else on the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will, thank you

You are welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wanted to let you know we replaced the oil tank and it solved the problem. Thanks.

You are welcome.