Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2000 490 hp outboard two-stroke. The boat motor…

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 490 hp Johnson outboard two-stroke

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

The boat motor acts like it’s not with possibly getting enough fuel or it acts like a Fouled plug but I put new plugs in and that didn’t correct issue when I raise the RPMs under load it hesitates and sputters and carries on and then finally eventually will kick in all cylinders running sometimes sometimes only three

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

I have cleaned out the fuel pick up in the tank and also replaced the pump ball and also replaced the fuel water separator

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Boat
6/18/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Do you have the actual model number on the engine available, as it reads on the ID tag?

Hi I’m Phillip Smith
I do not have that model number information with me I will have to contact you back after three or so Eastern time

HI Phillip, okay that's no problem, there are no time limits here. Just reply back once you are ready and we will go from there.

Phillip smith here sending attachments with eng. info
Engine family 4BCXMD105210
2004johnson 90hp bombardier
The model number and serial number tag our unlegible I cannot see them

Hmm... Unfortunately I can not do anything with that number. The number I was looking for would start with J90, and then have more letters after it. Is this a carbureted engine, or a DFI/ETEC engine? If you don't know, can you pull the engine cover off and take some pictures of the engine block from a few different angles so I can see exactly what it is.

l will take pictures
Give me an email to send them to

You can upload pictures directly to the website via the add files button. Click this link and scroll down to "other" and it will explain how to do it - http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142

Can you send a few more pictures over?

Don’t know if you have the pics

Okay got it. I see what you have now. Are you looking or trying to work on this engine yourself? Or are you just trying to get a better idea of what is going on so that you are better prepared for when you speak to your own mechanic/dealer?

If it’s something that I have to have special tools for then I would probably have to take it to my mechanic I’m not really sure if it’s fuel injected or whether it’s carburetion if I took it apart a little bit I could probably tell by looking but you probably know

It is a carbureted engine. Basically where you would need to start is by doing 3 things. 1. Compression test the engine. 2. Check for spark output on the engine, this is done by hooking up a timing light to each plug wire one at a time, and seeing of that timing light flashes or not. Flash means that cylinder is sparking, no flash means no spark. 3. Run the engine off of a portable fuel tank full of brand new gas. Are you able to do those tests?

I can do those tests and I will do them tomorrow afternoon and be back in touch with you about this time or maybe earlier thanks Philip

Sounds good. There are not any kinds of time limits here. So just reply back when you have had a chance to run those tests, and we will take it form there. Enjoy the rest of your night. -Jason

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jason, I performed all the tests that we talked about the compression test the spark checked test and I hooked up fresh tank of gas new gas line
Compression was consistent 120 on all four cylinders spark is consistent with all four cylinders seems to idle OK under low RPM as you increase the RPMs it’s seems like it has Miss and I haven’t tested it under load as of yet I’m gonna take it out tomorrow and try
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 month ago

Got it. When you run the boat, try pushing In on the key switch to activate the primer, and see if it runs better or worse with that primer activated. Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I ran the boat and push the key in it made it worse not better
The motor idols pretty good as I go up in the RPMs to get the boat up on the plane it’s missing badly sounds like running on two cylinders then sounds like third cylinder kicks in but the four-cylinder never kicks in is what it sounds like
Thanks Phillip
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No the gas is fresh and the plugs are brand new
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you get the last response
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This message is for jason

Got it. At this point your entire ignition system needs to be gone through with a DVA, which you are not going to have. I don't think this one is going to be solvable via a web chat. I will opt out and leave your question open to the community. If one of the other guys has an idea they will chime in.

Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello Phillip. My name is Tan.

What we need to do is run the engine under a load while checking the spark on all cylinders with a timing light. Watch the flash of the light when the engine is acting up. The flash must be steady with no dead spots. If that cylinder fires good move to the next cylinder. Do this till you find the misfire. Once you have found the misfire swap the top coil with the bottom coil. Does the misfire move if yes then the misfiring coil is the bad coil replace the coil. If no change you are going to have a bad power pack.

Can you do these checks?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Tan
I can do that check that you’re talking about that helps greatly I will let you know what happens
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My name is*****

Ok great. I can get you a listing of the power pack or the coil when you find the issue.

Thank you...Tan